discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

New and a question

MA
Michael AtOz
Sun, Jul 4, 2021 9:27 AM

Thanks for the report.
I mentioned I have three addresses subscribed as Admin. Sometimes I get two
emails, and the third turns up an hour or more later, always the Gmail
address.
It is a small subset of posters though. I have yet to get a correlation to
a specific cause.
That will be THE Gmail algorithm at work.

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 at 18:52, Gareth Chen garethenator@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW I've noticed that emails from this list seem to be frequently picked
up by Gmail's spam filter, and it sometimes doesn't get to my inbox at all
until a couple of people have replied (nophead in particular seems to have
been deemed trustworthy).

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 1:14 AM MichaelAtOz oz.at.michael@gmail.com
wrote:

Note for everyone:

The ONE person who developed "Empathy" (software), which is fairly

new (=bugs),

and who had provided support, DIED.

&

Empathy is not a Forum, it has limitations which will not get fixed.

We inherited Empathy when we were forced to migrate from Mailman2 to
Mailman3 in Mid March.

The provider was no longer supporting Mailman2. It was inevitable, but we
were pushed with little notice.

Mailman3 was not specifically supported by Nabble. It took some Nabble
customisation to get it to function.

At the time Nabble, the Forum host, was acting normally, although we had
previous problems and knew we

probably would want to migrate away from Nabble, it was very niche, and
support was waning.

I tested Empathy at that time to see whether it could replace Nabble.

It had potential, but there were significant limitations, with
improvements it may be better.

There was Git based issues support and the developer was responsive to
change.

We did not need people to access Empathy, because the Nabble hosted Forum
was THE email archive.

Then in Mid May the developer DIED, and it became obvious the company was
mostly a one man band.

Dear EMWD Clients:

With great sadness we report the death of our founder and president Brian
Carpenter. With this tragedy comes questions regarding the future
operations of EMWD. We want to assure you that we are working on continuing
the level of service to which you are accustomed. We are considering
several offers for the company and are hoping to have all issues resolved
soon.

Thank you for your patience as we work through this transition.

On behalf of Barbara Carpenter and Brian's family, we thank you for your
business.

--EMWD Customer Support

Then in early June Nabble posted on their Forum, without sending it to
administrators:

The feature which allows users to post by email probably will be removed.

Then in mid June, without informing administrators, they chopped
Mailing-list support, including all customisation

implemented for Mailman3. Nabble no longer accepted emails from the
Mailing-List, and Forum posts were not sent to the List.

The Forum was effectively defunct.

We were not alone, all the screams from many Administrators, did not seem
to matter.

I won't go into further details, but I sent my 'IMPORTANT!...' email
https://lists.openscad.org/empathy/thread/EAAMMV6J6NW3WFRSWQ7MINOSBEYDQ6XH.
Which included:

In the interim, I recommend you use the Mailing-list and do not post to
the Forum.

Basically nobody will see your post unless they specifically go looking
on the Forum.

If you are desperate to see messages via a Web page, use the Mailing-list
Archive:

https://lists.openscad.org/empathy/list/discuss.lists.openscad.org

If you are also desperate to post new messages via a Web page you can
also use the Archive,

but you will need to https://lists.openscad.org/register to create a
password for the email address that

you subscribed with, then you can logon to the Archive and post.

Note the editor there has limitations.

So today, we have a Mailing-list. We do not have a Forum (that gets
updated).

The Empathy front-end to the Mailing-list archive, is not a Forum, it has
bugs, is not ideal and won't get fixed soon.

I don't recommend posting via Empathy, but if you make them vanilla, it
sort of works, muchly.

We are considering the future, but it will not be screaming into
resolution any time soon.

This is where we are at.

We will have to live within its limitations.

Your perseverance will be appreciated.

MichaelAtOz,

I used to say 'Forum Admin'

We appreciate all the feedback provided on future requirements, options
and desires, we do not need to repeat that exercise.