discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Re: Going to delete account and try again

mikeonenine@web.de
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 7:13 PM

When is a forum not a forum? When it's an Empathy.

Oh dear, looks like I put the cat among the pigeons! Sorry!

To be clear: Like kwikius, it bothers me that my e-mail appears at the top left of my posts.

Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want that too. I want to continue with my nick from the old forum.

So, how does one do that?

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one quote a previous post?

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one reply to a specific post?

NH
nop head
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 7:19 PM

It is a mailing list. If l post to the list it doesn't show my email on
empathy. But it does show it to the people on the mailing list. My email
client does quoting and grouping by subject.

On Sun, 18 Sept 2022, 20:15 , mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

When is a forum not a forum? When it's an Empathy.

Oh dear, looks like I put the cat among the pigeons! Sorry!

To be clear: Like kwikius, it bothers me that my e-mail appears at the top
left of my posts.

Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want that too. I
want to continue with my nick from the old forum.

So, how does one do that?

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one quote a previous
post?

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one reply to a
specific post?

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

It is a mailing list. If l post to the list it doesn't show my email on empathy. But it does show it to the people on the mailing list. My email client does quoting and grouping by subject. On Sun, 18 Sept 2022, 20:15 , <mikeonenine@web.de> wrote: > When is a forum not a forum? When it's an Empathy. > > Oh dear, looks like I put the cat among the pigeons! Sorry! > > To be clear: Like kwikius, it bothers me that my e-mail appears at the top > left of my posts. > > Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want that too. I > want to continue with my nick from the old forum. > > So, how does one do that? > > If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one quote a previous > post? > > If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one reply to a > specific post? > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
TP
Torsten Paul
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 7:33 PM

On 18.09.22 21:13, mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want > that too. I want to continue with my nick from the old forum.
So, how does one do that?

At a guess:

Login to Empathy, fill out the profile name fields, new posts
might get translated. As far as I can tell, existing posts are
not changed unfortunately.

Empathy:
https://lists.openscad.org/empathy/list/discuss.lists.openscad.org

Note that this is a hosted service, so influence on details is
limited.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 18.09.22 21:13, mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want > that too. I want to continue with my nick from the old forum. > So, how does one do that? At a guess: Login to Empathy, fill out the profile name fields, new posts might get translated. As far as I can tell, existing posts are not changed unfortunately. Empathy: https://lists.openscad.org/empathy/list/discuss.lists.openscad.org Note that this is a hosted service, so influence on details is limited. ciao, Torsten.
mikeonenine@web.de
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 8:35 PM

My post at the top was sent by e-mail as a test. But it still shows my address at the top left.

mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > My post at the top was sent by e-mail as a test. But it still shows my address at the top left.
mikeonenine@web.de
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 8:40 PM

nop head wrote:

It is a mailing list.

Empathy is both an archiver with advanced searchable & sortable features, and a simple but elegant online forum.

The words of Mr. Empathy himself. So it can’t be wrong to call it a forum.

nop head wrote: > It is a mailing list. Empathy is both an archiver with advanced searchable & sortable features, and a simple but elegant online forum. The words of Mr. Empathy himself. So it can’t be wrong to call it a forum.
ER
edmund ronald
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 8:59 PM

There seem to be two different problems: 1. Reading, 2. Posting.
If mostly reading an Empathy offers public access then 1 is solved.
For 2, I would recommend using a fake email address like mailinator, where
you can have any address you want. Or create a supplementary google or
hotmail or Yahoo address. Or you can pay $10 a year for a domain name with
webmail and create your own alias. Or ask nicely and someone with a domain
can give you a forwarding address.

Edmund

Edmund

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:41 PM mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

nop head wrote:

It is a mailing list.

Empathy is both an archiver with advanced searchable & sortable features,
and a simple but elegant online forum.

The words of Mr. Empathy himself. So it can’t be wrong to call it a forum.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

There seem to be two different problems: 1. Reading, 2. Posting. If mostly reading an Empathy offers public access then 1 is solved. For 2, I would recommend using a fake email address like mailinator, where you can have any address you want. Or create a supplementary google or hotmail or Yahoo address. Or you can pay $10 a year for a domain name with webmail and create your own alias. Or ask nicely and someone with a domain can give you a forwarding address. Edmund Edmund On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:41 PM <mikeonenine@web.de> wrote: > nop head wrote: > > It is a mailing list. > > Empathy is both an archiver with advanced searchable & sortable features, > and a simple but elegant online forum. > > The words of Mr. Empathy himself. So it can’t be wrong to call it a forum. > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
TP
Torsten P..
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 9:56 PM

On 18.09.22 21:33, Torsten Paul wrote:

At a guess:

Login to Empathy, fill out the profile name fields, new posts
might get translated. As far as I can tell, existing posts are
not changed unfortunately.

Ok, that's not it. Still showing the full name, so the empathy
configuration does not seem to influence the display of posts.

Now sending with a different name given in the email. If this
shows up with "Torsten P.." (2 dots) it's taking the name
directly from the email, so you would have to configure your
mail client to send whatever you would like to show.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 18.09.22 21:33, Torsten Paul wrote: > At a guess: > > Login to Empathy, fill out the profile name fields, new posts > might get translated. As far as I can tell, existing posts are > not changed unfortunately. Ok, that's not it. Still showing the full name, so the empathy configuration does not seem to influence the display of posts. Now sending with a different name given in the email. If this shows up with "Torsten P.." (2 dots) it's taking the name directly from the email, so you would have to configure your mail client to send whatever you would like to show. ciao, Torsten.
JB
Jordan Brown
Sun, Sep 18, 2022 10:52 PM

On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

When is a forum not a forum? When it's an Empathy.

Note:  we didn't move to Empathy because we wanted to.  We moved because
Nabble shut down their email-to-forum gateway, and is moving to shut
down their forum service.

To be clear: Like kwikius, it bothers me that my e-mail appears at the
top left of my posts.

Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want that too.
I want to continue with my nick from the old forum.

So, how does one do that?

I experimented with that a few weeks back.  As best I can tell, my
Empathy account is set up correctly.  If I send e-mail, it shows up in
Empathy with my name, not my e-mail address.  If I post from Empathy, it
sends e-mail with my e-mail address and no name, and the archives have
only the e-mail address.

I'm not an admin on the mailing list, so I can't look at how it's
configured, but I doubt that Michael has it set up to deliberately use
only the e-mail address on Empathy posts.  It sure seems like it's an
Empathy bug/limitation.

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one quote a

If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one reply to a
specific post?

Using standard email reply techniques, like I'm doing now.  Those do
imply reading via email too.

On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > When is a forum not a forum? When it's an Empathy. Note:  we didn't move to Empathy because we wanted to.  We moved because Nabble shut down their email-to-forum gateway, and is moving to shut down their forum service. > To be clear: Like kwikius, it bothers me that my e-mail appears at the > top left of my posts. >   > Practically everyone else has their nick/alias there. I want that too. > I want to continue with my nick from the old forum. >   > So, how does one do that? I experimented with that a few weeks back.  As best I can tell, my Empathy account is set up correctly.  If I send e-mail, it shows up in Empathy with my name, not my e-mail address.  If I post from Empathy, it sends e-mail with my e-mail address and no name, and the archives have only the e-mail address. I'm not an admin on the mailing list, so I can't look at how it's configured, but I doubt that Michael has it set up to deliberately use only the e-mail address on Empathy posts.  It sure seems like it's an Empathy bug/limitation. > If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one quote a > previous post? >   > If one contacts the not-a-forum by e-mail, how does one reply to a > specific post? Using standard email reply techniques, like I'm doing now.  Those do imply *reading* via email too.
MM
Michael Marx
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 12:28 AM

Mike,

I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client.

Note the From field (in my reply quote below), From: mikeonenine@web.de [mailto:mikeonenine@web.de]

the left side is usually the email/account name, with the right the email address in brackets.

Other posters have their name on the left, e.g. From: Michael Marx [mailto:michael@marx.id.au]

This is from the email header, e.g.

From: Michael Marx michael@marx.id.au

I believe (as I didn't write it) the left name field is what gets posted to the Empathy archive.

Your client seems to be currently configured to have your address as your name.

Empathy is buggy, it seems (as I didn't write it) to use the address field when web-posting. That
could be a bug, or a poor design choice.

So for now, if you don't want it there, change your email client and stop posting via Empathy.

When I have a moment I will raise this with the hosting company, as it is probably one of the
bigger issues.

However, it was a one man band, the man died. Someone took it over. Historically they were not very
responsive.

We will revise instructions to reinforce that Empathy is not recommended. I'd prefer to turn it
off, but there is no option.

Please note it has many more bugs you may not have noticed.

One nasty one, which for me is a killer.

Unless the post was carefully created, it formats text like a mark-up, so posted .scad code is
modified. Copy/paste gets buggy code.

I tested all this when we were forced off Nabble, as a result the discussion at the time was that
Empathy is not recommended.

Michael

[note I drafted the above before your recent post]

My post at the top was sent by e-mail as a test. But it still shows my address at the top left.

--
www.avg.com

Mike, I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client. Note the From field (in my reply quote below), From: mikeonenine@web.de [mailto:mikeonenine@web.de] the left side is usually the email/account name, with the right the email address in brackets. Other posters have their name on the left, e.g. From: Michael Marx [mailto:michael@marx.id.au] This is from the email header, e.g. From: Michael Marx <michael@marx.id.au> I believe (as I didn't write it) the left name field is what gets posted to the Empathy archive. Your client seems to be currently configured to have your address as your name. Empathy is buggy, it seems (as I didn't write it) to use the address field when web-posting. That could be a bug, or a poor design choice. So for now, if you don't want it there, change your email client and stop posting via Empathy. When I have a moment I will raise this with the hosting company, as it is probably one of the bigger issues. However, it was a one man band, the man died. Someone took it over. Historically they were not very responsive. We will revise instructions to reinforce that Empathy is not recommended. I'd prefer to turn it off, but there is no option. Please note it has many more bugs you may not have noticed. One nasty one, which for me is a killer. Unless the post was carefully created, it formats text like a mark-up, so posted .scad code is modified. Copy/paste gets buggy code. I tested all this when we were forced off Nabble, as a result the discussion at the time was that Empathy is not recommended. Michael [note I drafted the above before your recent post] _____ From: mikeonenine@web.de [mailto:mikeonenine@web.de] Sent: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 06:35 To: discuss@lists.openscad.org Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Going to delete account and try again mikeonenine@web.de wrote: My post at the top was sent by e-mail as a test. But it still shows my address at the top left. -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com
MM
Michael Marx
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 12:43 AM

From: Michael Marx

We will revise instructions to reinforce that Empathy is not recommended. I'd prefer to turn it
off, but there is no option.

Please note it has many more bugs you may not have noticed.

I note Empathy also does a poor job of obfuscating email addresses in general, see below.

Perhaps a reminder for people (including me) to trim their replies.

--
www.avg.com

_____ From: Michael Marx We will revise instructions to reinforce that Empathy is not recommended. I'd prefer to turn it off, but there is no option. Please note it has many more bugs you may not have noticed. I note Empathy also does a poor job of obfuscating email addresses in general, see below. Perhaps a reminder for people (including me) to trim their replies. -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com