discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Re: Going to delete account and try again

MM
Michael Marx
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:05 AM

It is also very bad at formatting, this is what I emailed, and what I received back in my inbox
from the list:

This is what you get if you read Empathy:

It loses a lot of meaning.

Anyway...

--
www.avg.com

It is also very bad at formatting, this is what I emailed, and what I received back in my inbox from the list: ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- This is what you get if you read Empathy: ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- It loses a lot of meaning. Anyway... -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com
mikeonenine@web.de
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:06 AM

So this one is  NOT  by email again...because something seems to have gone wrong.

Jordan Brown wrote:

On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

Note:  we didn't move to Empathy because we wanted to.

I appreciate that there was dissatisfaction with Nabble, but I never got what the advantage of a parallel system of email and forum is. I find email a little tedious, but if that's what people want, I can live with it.

Jordan Brown wrote:

On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

As best I can tell, my Empathy account is set up correctly.

Quite likely mine is not, but it can't be changed via "update profile". So it looks like I would have to unsubscribe and resubscribe again with a correct account setup. However, I remember trying that somewhere else, and not being let back in, because the forum recognised my email address and thought I was trying to open an additional account, which is rightly frowned upon.

Er, umm, what's happened to Kwikius? Not heard from him for some time.

This “forum” has been very useful and I would not want to throw myself out of it.

So this one is NOT by email again...because something seems to have gone wrong. Jordan Brown wrote: > On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > > Note:  we didn't move to Empathy because we wanted to.  I appreciate that there was dissatisfaction with Nabble, but I never got what the advantage of a parallel system of email and forum is. I find email a little tedious, but if that's what people want, I can live with it. Jordan Brown wrote: > On 9/18/2022 12:13 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > > As best I can tell, my Empathy account is set up correctly.  Quite likely mine is not, but it can't be changed via "update profile". So it looks like I would have to unsubscribe and resubscribe again with a correct account setup. However, I remember trying that somewhere else, and not being let back in, because the forum recognised my email address and thought I was trying to open an additional account, which is rightly frowned upon. Er, umm, what's happened to Kwikius? Not heard from him for some time. This “forum” has been very useful and I would not want to throw myself out of it.
FH
Father Horton
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:08 AM

I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just
phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started.

I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started.
mikeonenine@web.de
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:10 AM

Father Horton wrote:

I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just
phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started.

Must have been very small passengers …?

Father Horton wrote: > I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just > phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started. Must have been very small passengers …?
FH
Father Horton
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:12 AM

Or extremely large pigeons.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 8:11 PM mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

Father Horton wrote:

I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just
phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started.

Must have been very small passengers …?

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Or extremely large pigeons. On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 8:11 PM <mikeonenine@web.de> wrote: > Father Horton wrote: > > I guess I'm old-school enough to not mind a mailing list. They were just > phasing out passenger pigeons when I got started. > > Must have been very small passengers …? > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
mikeonenine@web.de
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:30 AM

Michael Marx wrote:

Mike,

I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client.

Is that where the forum gets the alias/name?

In most forums you can set any alias you like, independent of the email address and different in each forum you join.

Looking at all the aliases used in this forum, that seems to be the case here too.

I have submitted a new subscription with “caddiy” as first name, so let’s see what happens.

Michael Marx wrote: > Mike, > > I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client. Is that where the forum gets the alias/name? In most forums you can set any alias you like, independent of the email address and different in each forum you join. Looking at all the aliases used in this forum, that seems to be the case here too. I have submitted a new subscription with “caddiy” as first name, so let’s see what happens.
JB
Jordan Brown
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:33 AM

On 9/18/2022 6:30 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote:

Michael Marx wrote:

 Mike,

 I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client.

Is that where the forum gets the alias/name?

In most forums you can set any alias you like, independent of the
email address and different in each forum you join.

Looking at all the aliases used in this forum, that seems to be the
case here too.

I have submitted a new subscription with “caddiy” as first name, so
let’s see what happens.

Yeah, so far the only way that we've seen real(ish) names appearing in
Empathy is when they come from the e-mail message's From header.

And yes, that seems pretty wrong, especially when Empathy knows your
name, but we (and there I really mean Michael, who does all the work)
don't have any way to change it.

On 9/18/2022 6:30 PM, mikeonenine@web.de wrote: > > Michael Marx wrote: > > Mike, > > I believe you are missing an alias/name in your email client. > > Is that where the forum gets the alias/name? > > In most forums you can set any alias you like, independent of the > email address and different in each forum you join. > > Looking at all the aliases used in this forum, that seems to be the > case here too. > > I have submitted a new subscription with “caddiy” as first name, so > let’s see what happens. > Yeah, so far the only way that we've seen real(ish) names appearing in Empathy is when they come from the e-mail message's From header. And yes, that seems pretty wrong, especially when Empathy knows your name, but we (and there I really mean Michael, who does all the work) don't have any way to change it.
mikeonenine@web.de
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 1:35 AM

Father Horton wrote:

Or extremely large pigeons.

SPLAT !

Aaaargh! Glug, glug, glug!

Father Horton wrote: > Or extremely large pigeons. SPLAT ! Aaaargh! Glug, glug, glug!
MM
Michael Marx
Mon, Sep 19, 2022 8:24 AM

In most forums you can set any alias you like, independent of the email address and different in each forum you join.

It is not a Forum, I repeat it is NOT A FORUM. Even 'light-weight' is being kind.

It is a web front-end to the Mailman-3 Mail Archive. Don't believe the advertising hype.

It doesn't even have an Admin interface.

Below is from a support ticket (on the hosting company support site) last year.

Me:

Replying to a post, 'insert image' pops-up properly.
See capture attached.
But it is not very intuitive, what are you meant to type in location?
Looks like it wants a URL, yes.

Is there any way of uploading an image from the client?
ie in the same fashion you insert inline images into an email

See this http://forum.openscad.org/Feasibility-of-Cylindrical-Cam-and-multipart-cuts-in-OpenSCAD-td32029.html <br />
thread
for the types of discussions with inline images.

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reply from the man who wrote it, RIP:

I agree it is not intuitive, and I will probably have the icon removed from the editor interface. I am also considering replacing the current editor with CKeditor.

You can upload images using the attachment icon. Empathy is a light-weight forum. Improvements will made to it over-time, but I doubt it will be to come close to what Nabble can offer.

One of the challenges here is, any messages sent via the browser has to be compliant with email clients because it is going to be sent out as an email message. So I don't think allowing inline images will work because there is no control how they will be interpreted in a list member's email client.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Ahh, I found it.

I actually raised an issue on the Empathy Git about the email addresses in Empathy posts, among others

https://gitlab.com/brianemwd/empathy/-/issues

It is now a year old and not fixed. That was just before he passed away.

In his own words "When a list member registers with Affinity and then posts using Empathy's forum, the email address of the user is displayed instead of the user's real name."

That is why we have a Mailing-list.