discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Fitting PCB into a box.

K.
kl1k .
Tue, May 24, 2022 5:57 AM

I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes which has worked out well.

I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I have designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the measurements are correct before getting them printed.

Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and place it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes etc are lined up. Or is it a case of first taking careful measurements, doing the design in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and check. Make corrections and keep repeating until its correct.

Example of the 3D Kicad image:
https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png
https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png

Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad:
https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png

Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if this will virtually fit before actually printing?
I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want to learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad)

[...]
DP
David Phillip Oster
Tue, May 24, 2022 6:27 AM

You can load most .STL files into OpenSCAD with import("myFile.stl"); Once
it is visible (you may need to zoom out to see where it is in OpenSCAD
space), you can use translate([anX, aY, aZ]) to put it where  you want it.
Add the OpenSCAD for your box, and zoom in to see if it has the right
clearance.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM kl1k . kl1k@hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

You can load most .STL files into OpenSCAD with import("myFile.stl"); Once it is visible (you may need to zoom out to see where it is in OpenSCAD space), you can use translate([anX, aY, aZ]) to put it where you want it. Add the OpenSCAD for your box, and zoom in to see if it has the right clearance. On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM kl1k . <kl1k@hotmail.com> wrote: > I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes which > has worked out well. > > I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I have > designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the measurements are > correct before getting them printed. > > Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and place > it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes etc are lined > up. Or is it a case of first taking careful measurements, doing the design > in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and check. Make corrections and keep > repeating until its correct. > > Example of the 3D Kicad image: > https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png > https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png > > Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad: > https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png > > Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if this > will virtually fit before actually printing? > I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but > haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want to > learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad) > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
K.
kl1k .
Tue, May 24, 2022 7:23 AM

Thanks. Wasn't aware that I could use a .STL file. This is great - will play around with the import / translate.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM kl1k . <kl1k@hotmail.commailto:kl1k@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Thanks. Wasn't aware that I could use a .STL file. This is great - will play around with the import / translate. ________________________________ From: David Phillip Oster <davidphilliposter@gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 6:27 AM To: OpenSCAD general discussion <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Fitting PCB into a box. You can load most .STL files into OpenSCAD with import("myFile.stl"); Once it is visible (you may need to zoom out to see where it is in OpenSCAD space), you can use translate([anX, aY, aZ]) to put it where you want it. Add the OpenSCAD for your box, and zoom in to see if it has the right clearance. On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM kl1k . <kl1k@hotmail.com<mailto:kl1k@hotmail.com>> wrote: I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes which has worked out well. I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I have designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the measurements are correct before getting them printed. Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and place it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes etc are lined up. Or is it a case of first taking careful measurements, doing the design in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and check. Make corrections and keep repeating until its correct. Example of the 3D Kicad image: https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad: https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if this will virtually fit before actually printing? I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want to learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad) _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> T
TP
Torsten Paul
Tue, May 24, 2022 7:42 AM

On 24.05.22 07:57, kl1k . wrote:

Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see
if this will virtually fit before actually printing?

For the current project it's maybe a bit too late, but if you are
interested I could try reactivating the IDF3 import.

The old state had some issues I could not really solve at the time,
but with the data structure support we have now, it should be
possible to get this into a reasonable shape.

Interesting question would be how the information should look
like to be most useful.

See https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/2637

ciao,
Torsten.

On 24.05.22 07:57, kl1k . wrote: > Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see > if this will virtually fit before actually printing? For the current project it's maybe a bit too late, but if you are interested I could try reactivating the IDF3 import. The old state had some issues I could not really solve at the time, but with the data structure support we have now, it should be possible to get this into a reasonable shape. Interesting question would be how the information should look like to be most useful. See https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/2637 ciao, Torsten.
K.
kl1k .
Tue, May 24, 2022 7:57 AM

This looks very interesting and will be worth trying to get going.

Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see
if this will virtually fit before actually printing?

For the current project it's maybe a bit too late, but if you are
interested I could try reactivating the IDF3 import.

The old state had some issues I could not really solve at the time,
but with the data structure support we have now, it should be
possible to get this into a reasonable shape.

Interesting question would be how the information should look
like to be most useful.

See https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/2637

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

This looks very interesting and will be worth trying to get going. ________________________________ From: Torsten Paul <Torsten.Paul@gmx.de> Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 7:42 AM To: discuss@lists.openscad.org <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Fitting PCB into a box. On 24.05.22 07:57, kl1k . wrote: > Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see > if this will virtually fit before actually printing? For the current project it's maybe a bit too late, but if you are interested I could try reactivating the IDF3 import. The old state had some issues I could not really solve at the time, but with the data structure support we have now, it should be possible to get this into a reasonable shape. Interesting question would be how the information should look like to be most useful. See https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/2637 ciao, Torsten. _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
Daniel
Tue, May 24, 2022 9:39 AM

Hi,

I often make boxes for things I designed in KiCad and wrote a script to
extract mount points.

See here for explanation how to use

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/

-Daniel

https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png

Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if
this will virtually fit before actually printing?
I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but
haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want
to learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad)

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Hi, I often make boxes for things I designed in KiCad and wrote a script to extract mount points. See here for explanation how to use https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/ <https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/> -Daniel On 24/05/2022 06:57, kl1k . wrote: > I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes > which has worked out well. > > I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I > have designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the > measurements are correct before getting them printed. > > Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and > place it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes etc > are lined up. Or is it a case of first taking careful measurements, > doing the design in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and check. Make > corrections and keep repeating until its correct. > > Example of the 3D Kicad image: > https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png > <https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png> > https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png > <https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png> > > Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad: > https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png <https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png> > > Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if > this will virtually fit before actually printing? > I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but > haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want > to learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad) > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
Daniel
Tue, May 24, 2022 9:58 AM

Have attached the python script & box-generating .scad I made. Fairly
rough but maybe you will find it useful.

It would be great if I could get it to automatically generate the box
following the same outline of the PCB but I'm not there yet.

-Daniel

On 24/05/2022 06:57, kl1k . wrote:

[...]

Have attached the python script & box-generating .scad I made. Fairly rough but maybe you will find it useful. It would be great if I could get it to automatically generate the box following the same outline of the PCB but I'm not there yet. -Daniel On 24/05/2022 10:39, Daniel wrote: > > Hi, > > > I often make boxes for things I designed in KiCad and wrote a script > to extract mount points. > > > See here for explanation how to use > > https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/ > <https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/> > > > > -Daniel > > > On 24/05/2022 06:57, kl1k . wrote: >> I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes >> which has worked out well. >> >> I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I >> have designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the >> measurements are correct before getting them printed. >> >> Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and >> place it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes >> etc are lined up. Or is it a case of first taking careful >> measurements, doing the design in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and >> check. Make corrections and keep repeating until its correct. >> >> Example of the 3D Kicad image: >> https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png >> <https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png> >> https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png >> <https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png> >> >> Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad: >> https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png <https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png> >> >> Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if >> this will virtually fit before actually printing? >> I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but >> haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really >> want to learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad) >> >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email todiscuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
NH
nop head
Tue, May 24, 2022 11:05 AM

I model the PCB in OpenSCAD to just enough detail to fit boxes around it.
For example I sometimes just measure the board and its mounting holes but
usually I add the connectors and large components.

A lot of my circuits are built on veroboard or perfboard, or are closed
source modules from China, so I have no ECAD data for them, so I model
everything in OpenSCAD.

Here is a complex programmable load panel assembly that used part of a PCB
recycled from a solder station with perfboards soldered on top of ICs to
scrape the segment data from LED meters and convert to analogue voltages
for an Arduino nano to decode and convert to serial and do autoranging. The
main controller was an ESP32 underneath. There is also a four fan
controller on a third perboard and an OLED screen and shaft encoder
board buried below.

[image: box_top_assembled.png]

[image: controller_assembled.png]

[image: box_assembly.png]

On 24/05/2022 06:57, kl1k . wrote:

[...]

I model the PCB in OpenSCAD to just enough detail to fit boxes around it. For example I sometimes just measure the board and its mounting holes but usually I add the connectors and large components. A lot of my circuits are built on veroboard or perfboard, or are closed source modules from China, so I have no ECAD data for them, so I model everything in OpenSCAD. Here is a complex programmable load panel assembly that used part of a PCB recycled from a solder station with perfboards soldered on top of ICs to scrape the segment data from LED meters and convert to analogue voltages for an Arduino nano to decode and convert to serial and do autoranging. The main controller was an ESP32 underneath. There is also a four fan controller on a third perboard and an OLED screen and shaft encoder board buried below. [image: box_top_assembled.png] [image: controller_assembled.png] [image: box_assembly.png] On Tue, 24 May 2022 at 10:58, Daniel <daniel@puggsy.net> wrote: > Have attached the python script & box-generating .scad I made. Fairly > rough but maybe you will find it useful. > > > It would be great if I could get it to automatically generate the box > following the same outline of the PCB but I'm not there yet. > > > -Daniel > > > > On 24/05/2022 10:39, Daniel wrote: > > Hi, > > > I often make boxes for things I designed in KiCad and wrote a script to > extract mount points. > > > See here for explanation how to use > > > https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/kicad-to-openscad-for-pcb-case-generation/ > > > > -Daniel > > > On 24/05/2022 06:57, kl1k . wrote: > > I've just started using OpenScad and have created a few simple boxes which > has worked out well. > > I'm now trying to design a few boxes that will fit my PCB's which I have > designed using KiCAD and want to make sure that all the measurements are > correct before getting them printed. > > Is there any way I can take the 3D file from KiCAD (STL or OBJ) and place > it virtually in the box to see if all the measurements/holes etc are lined > up. Or is it a case of first taking careful measurements, doing the design > in OpenScad, 3D printing a sample and check. Make corrections and keep > repeating until its correct. > > Example of the 3D Kicad image: > https://i.postimg.cc/cJkmNDSr/pic1.png > https://i.postimg.cc/C1Z4MjhJ/pic2.png > > Picture of the box I've make in OpenScad: > https://i.postimg.cc/VLPF1r3B/1.png > > Is this something that OpenScad supports? Is there any way to see if this > will virtually fit before actually printing? > I found an article on importing the KiCad STL file into Fusion360 but > haven't found anything on how to do it in OpenScad? (Don't really want to > learn F360 after having spent a good few hours with OpenScad) > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
jon
Tue, May 24, 2022 12:11 PM

nop head:

I admire your tenacity, skill, and available hours.

Jon

On 5/24/2022 7:05 AM, nop head wrote:

I model the PCB in OpenSCAD to just enough detail to fit boxes around
it. For example I sometimes just measure the board and its mounting
holes but usually I add the connectors and large components.

A lot of my circuits are built on veroboard or perfboard, or are
closed source modules from China, so I have no ECAD data for them, so
I model everything in OpenSCAD.

Here is a complex programmable load panel assembly that used part of a
PCB recycled from a solder station with perfboards soldered on top of
ICs to scrape the segment data from LED meters and convert to analogue
voltages for an Arduino nano to decode and convert to serial and do
autoranging. The main controller was an ESP32 underneath. There is
also a four fan controller on a third perboard and an OLED screen and
shaft encoder board buried below.

nop head: I admire your tenacity, skill, and available hours. Jon On 5/24/2022 7:05 AM, nop head wrote: > I model the PCB in OpenSCAD to just enough detail to fit boxes around > it. For example I sometimes just measure the board and its mounting > holes but usually I add the connectors and large components. > > A lot of my circuits are built on veroboard or perfboard, or are > closed source modules from China, so I have no ECAD data for them, so > I model everything in OpenSCAD. > > Here is a complex programmable load panel assembly that used part of a > PCB recycled from a solder station with perfboards soldered on top of > ICs to scrape the segment data from LED meters and convert to analogue > voltages for an Arduino nano to decode and convert to serial and do > autoranging. The main controller was an ESP32 underneath. There is > also a four fan controller on a third perboard and an OLED screen and > shaft encoder board buried below.
NH
nop head
Tue, May 24, 2022 12:12 PM

Thanks, being retired helps a lot.

Thanks, being retired helps a lot. On Tue, 24 May 2022, 13:11 jon, <jon@jonbondy.com> wrote: > nop head: > > I admire your tenacity, skill, and available hours. > > Jon > > On 5/24/2022 7:05 AM, nop head wrote: > > I model the PCB in OpenSCAD to just enough detail to fit boxes around > > it. For example I sometimes just measure the board and its mounting > > holes but usually I add the connectors and large components. > > > > A lot of my circuits are built on veroboard or perfboard, or are > > closed source modules from China, so I have no ECAD data for them, so > > I model everything in OpenSCAD. > > > > Here is a complex programmable load panel assembly that used part of a > > PCB recycled from a solder station with perfboards soldered on top of > > ICs to scrape the segment data from LED meters and convert to analogue > > voltages for an Arduino nano to decode and convert to serial and do > > autoranging. The main controller was an ESP32 underneath. There is > > also a four fan controller on a third perboard and an OLED screen and > > shaft encoder board buried below. >