View all threads

SpaceNav

jon
Sun, Jul 18, 2021 9:22 PM

I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences, Axes, I
see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any idea why that might be?

I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences, Axes, I see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any idea why that might be?
TP
Torsten Paul
Sun, Jul 18, 2021 9:51 PM

On 18.07.21 23:22, jon wrote:

I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences,
Axes, I see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any
idea why that might be?

That means the SpaceNav driver (spacenavd, Linux only) was not
enabled at application build time.

Which platform are you on? If you don't need spacenavd for any
other program, I'd suggest trying the joystick driver first.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 18.07.21 23:22, jon wrote: > I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences, > Axes, I see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any > idea why that might be? That means the SpaceNav driver (spacenavd, Linux only) was not enabled at application build time. Which platform are you on? If you don't need spacenavd for any other program, I'd suggest trying the joystick driver first. ciao, Torsten.
jon
Sun, Jul 18, 2021 9:59 PM

Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten.

On 7/18/2021 5:51 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:

On 18.07.21 23:22, jon wrote:

I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences,
Axes, I see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any
idea why that might be?
That means the SpaceNav driver (spacenavd, Linux only) was not
enabled at application build time.

Which platform are you on? If you don't need spacenavd for any
other program, I'd suggest trying the joystick driver first.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten. On 7/18/2021 5:51 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: > On 18.07.21 23:22, jon wrote: >> I'm playing with a SpaceNavigator.  When I go to Preferences, >> Axes, I see a SpaceNav check box, but it is greyed out.  Any >> idea why that might be? > That means the SpaceNav driver (spacenavd, Linux only) was not > enabled at application build time. > > Which platform are you on? If you don't need spacenavd for any > other program, I'd suggest trying the joystick driver first. > > ciao, > Torsten. > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
TP
Torsten Paul
Sun, Jul 18, 2021 10:21 PM

On 18.07.21 23:59, jon wrote:

Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten.

Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support
of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD).

Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not
interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately
it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about
it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 18.07.21 23:59, jon wrote: > Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten. Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD). Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it. ciao, Torsten.
MichaelAtOz
Sun, Jul 18, 2021 10:41 PM

I have to disable the 3DConnextion driver to use it with OpenSCAD.
I don't have their S/W installed ATM, I recall something in their start menu that starts/stops it.

Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support
of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD).

Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not
interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately
it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about
it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

https://www.avg.com

I have to disable the 3DConnextion driver to use it with OpenSCAD. I don't have their S/W installed ATM, I recall something in their start menu that starts/stops it. > -----Original Message----- > From: Torsten Paul [mailto:Torsten.Paul@gmx.de] > Sent: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:21 > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: SpaceNav > > On 18.07.21 23:59, jon wrote: > > Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten. > > Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support > of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD). > > Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not > interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately > it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about > it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it. > > ciao, > Torsten. > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
jon
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 1:01 AM

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor whether I
need to install special software.  I downloaded a huge package from the
manufacturer but have not yet installed it.

On 7/18/2021 6:41 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote:

I have to disable the 3DConnextion driver to use it with OpenSCAD.
I don't have their S/W installed ATM, I recall something in their start menu that starts/stops it.

Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support
of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD).

Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not
interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately
it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about
it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed it. On 7/18/2021 6:41 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote: > I have to disable the 3DConnextion driver to use it with OpenSCAD. > I don't have their S/W installed ATM, I recall something in their start menu that starts/stops it. > >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Torsten Paul [mailto:Torsten.Paul@gmx.de] >> Sent: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:21 >> To: discuss@lists.openscad.org >> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: SpaceNav >> >> On 18.07.21 23:59, jon wrote: >>> Thanks! I am on Windows, Torsten. >> Right, then you need to enable the HIDAPI driver for support >> of 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices (and restart OpenSCAD). >> >> Note that the official 3DConnexion driver may or may not >> interfere with OpenSCAD accessing the device. Unfortunately >> it has a license I can't agree to, so I can't say much about >> it, nor would it ever be possible for OpenSCAD to use it. >> >> ciao, >> Torsten. >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
TP
Torsten Paul
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 1:27 AM

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: > I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor > whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a > huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed > it. See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. ciao, Torsten.
jon
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 1:44 AM

Thanks!

Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD,
the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out.

On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Thanks! Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: > On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: >> I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor >> whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a >> huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed >> it. > See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. > > No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB > device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). > > As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab > the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if > you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. > > ciao, > Torsten. > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
MichaelAtOz
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 1:53 AM

HIDAPI is the raw USB driver interface to the SpaceNav device.

The SpaceNav check-box is for Linux only. (maybe Mac?)

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

https://www.avg.com

HIDAPI is the raw USB driver interface to the SpaceNav device. The SpaceNav check-box is for Linux only. (maybe Mac?) _____ From: jon [mailto:jon@jonbondy.com] Sent: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:44 To: OpenSCAD general discussion; Torsten Paul Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: SpaceNav Thanks! Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: I am confused. Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor whether I need to install special software. I downloaded a huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed it. See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. ciao, Torsten. _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
jon
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 10:46 AM

Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps I need to simply
give up.

I wonder if there is some way to change the UI so that this much effort
on the part of others is not required when a user stumbles across this
issue.

Thanks!

Jon

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.
No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).
As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.
ciao,
  Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps I need to simply give up. I wonder if there is some way to change the UI so that this much effort on the part of others is not required when a user stumbles across this issue. Thanks! Jon On 7/18/2021 9:53 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote: > > HIDAPI is the raw USB driver interface to the SpaceNav device. > > The SpaceNav check-box is for Linux only. (maybe Mac?) > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > *From:*jon [mailto:jon@jonbondy.com] > *Sent:* Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:44 > *To:* OpenSCAD general discussion; Torsten Paul > *Subject:* [OpenSCAD] Re: SpaceNav > > Thanks! > > Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, > the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. > > On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: > >> On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: >>> I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor >>> whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a >>> huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed >>> it. >> See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. >> No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB >> device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). >> As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab >> the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if >> you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. >> ciao, >>   Torsten. >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >> <mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> > > <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> > Virus-free. www.avg.com > <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> > > > <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2> > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org