discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

SpaceNav

TP
Torsten Paul
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 10:58 AM

On 19.07.21 12:46, jon wrote:

Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps
I need to simply give up.

You need to enable ONLY the HIDAPI checkbox to enable usage
of USB 3DConnection Space Mouse devices on Windows.

Please just ignore that SpaceNav checkbox, it's status will
have no relevance on Windows. I suppose it is meant to say
"SpaceNavD" which is the name Linux driver software.

ciao,
Torsten.

On 19.07.21 12:46, jon wrote: > Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps > I need to simply give up. You need to enable ONLY the HIDAPI checkbox to enable usage of USB 3DConnection Space Mouse devices on Windows. Please just ignore that SpaceNav checkbox, it's status will have no relevance on Windows. I suppose it is meant to say "SpaceNavD" which is the name Linux driver software. ciao, Torsten.
TP
Torsten Paul
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 11:16 AM

See screenshot for tooltips trying to explain things, if anyone
has suggestion on how to improve the text, please send an update
via pull request or create an issue on github with a suggested
replacement text.

ciao,
Torsten.

See screenshot for tooltips trying to explain things, if anyone has suggestion on how to improve the text, please send an update via pull request or create an issue on github with a suggested replacement text. ciao, Torsten.
Terry
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 11:32 AM

I use it frequently, but exclusively with Google Earth. I've just tried
it in OpenSCAD, after bringing up the settings dialog using the left
button. But I have not managed to do anything other than zoom. Rotation
and lateral navigation still have to be done with the normal mouse and
key controls. If you discover more I'd be keen to know.

Note that it's some years since I installed it so there may be updates
available.

Terry

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 21:44:25 -0400, you wrote:

Thanks!

Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD,
the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out.

On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

[...]
jon
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 11:40 AM

The SpaceNav here works in all axes.  It takes a while to get used to,
but being able to translate and rotate all with one device is
[theoretically] nice.  I have yet to get it to zoom.

:)

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

The SpaceNav here works in all axes.  It takes a while to get used to, but being able to translate and rotate all with one device is [theoretically] nice.  I have yet to get it to zoom. :) On 7/19/2021 7:32 AM, Terry wrote: > I use it frequently, but exclusively with Google Earth. I've just tried > it in OpenSCAD, after bringing up the settings dialog using the left > button. But I have not managed to do anything other than zoom. Rotation > and lateral navigation still have to be done with the normal mouse and > key controls. If you discover more I'd be keen to know. > > Note that it's some years since I installed it so there may be updates > available. > > Terry > > > > > > On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 21:44:25 -0400, you wrote: > >> Thanks! >> >> Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, >> the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. >> >> On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: >>> On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: >>>> I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor >>>> whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a >>>> huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed >>>> it. >>> See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. >>> >>> No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB >>> device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). >>> >>> As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab >>> the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if >>> you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. >>> >>> ciao, >>> Torsten. >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
jon
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 11:42 AM

Torsten:

The tool tips you have are great: I had not hovered long enough to
discover them. Does "this driver was not enabled" mean that this would
not work under Linux?  It does not apply to me, but that could be confusing.

The device now works.  Thanks for everyone's help

Jon

On 7/19/2021 7:16 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:

See screenshot for tooltips trying to explain things, if anyone
has suggestion on how to improve the text, please send an update
via pull request or create an issue on github with a suggested
replacement text.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Torsten: The tool tips you have are great: I had not hovered long enough to discover them. Does "this driver was not enabled" mean that this would not work under Linux?  It does not apply to me, but that could be confusing. The device now works.  Thanks for everyone's help Jon On 7/19/2021 7:16 AM, Torsten Paul wrote: > See screenshot for tooltips trying to explain things, if anyone > has suggestion on how to improve the text, please send an update > via pull request or create an issue on github with a suggested > replacement text. > > ciao, > Torsten. > > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
dpa
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 11:48 AM

regarding OpenSCAD and SpaceMouse:
In My first post here (some years ago) I asked if SpaceMouse was supported
and got something like a question mark as an answer. So I didn't know what
to do and couldn't use SpaceMouse in OpenSCAD.

Since then I have tried sometimes if it worded better with new drivers or
new OpenSCAD version - no luck (MacOS).

  • The SpaceMouse is only sometimes technically active (restart OpenSCAD as
    often until it runs)
  • (compared to Fusion360 or Prusa Slicer) the axes are not for SpaceMouse
    or I just didn't find the right axes. It is impossible to work with it

Am Mo., 19. Juli 2021 um 12:47 Uhr schrieb jon jon@jonbondy.com:

Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps I need to simply
give up.

I wonder if there is some way to change the UI so that this much effort on
the part of others is not required when a user stumbles across this issue.

Thanks!

Jon

On 7/18/2021 9:53 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote:

HIDAPI is the raw USB driver interface to the SpaceNav device.

The SpaceNav check-box is for Linux only. (maybe Mac?)

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor

whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a

huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed

it.

See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB

device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab

the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if

you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,

Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list

www.avg.com
http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient
<#m_6392096278935089211_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

regarding OpenSCAD and SpaceMouse: In My first post here (some years ago) I asked if SpaceMouse was supported and got something like a question mark as an answer. So I didn't know what to do and couldn't use SpaceMouse in OpenSCAD. Since then I have tried sometimes if it worded better with new drivers or new OpenSCAD version - no luck (MacOS). - The SpaceMouse is only sometimes technically active (restart OpenSCAD as often until it runs) - (compared to Fusion360 or Prusa Slicer) the axes are not for SpaceMouse or I just didn't find the right axes. It is impossible to work with it Am Mo., 19. Juli 2021 um 12:47 Uhr schrieb jon <jon@jonbondy.com>: > Well, if the check box is only for Linux, then perhaps I need to simply > give up. > > I wonder if there is some way to change the UI so that this much effort on > the part of others is not required when a user stumbles across this issue. > > Thanks! > > Jon > > > On 7/18/2021 9:53 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote: > > HIDAPI is the raw USB driver interface to the SpaceNav device. > > The SpaceNav check-box is for Linux only. (maybe Mac?) > > > ------------------------------ > > *From:* jon [mailto:jon@jonbondy.com <jon@jonbondy.com>] > *Sent:* Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:44 > *To:* OpenSCAD general discussion; Torsten Paul > *Subject:* [OpenSCAD] Re: SpaceNav > > > > Thanks! > > Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, the > SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. > > On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: > > On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: > > I am confused. Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor > > whether I need to install special software. I downloaded a > > huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed > > it. > > > > See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. > > > > No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB > > device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). > > > > As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab > > the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if > > you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. > > > > ciao, > > Torsten. > > > > _______________________________________________ > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > > <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. > www.avg.com > <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> > <#m_6392096278935089211_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2> > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
Terry
Mon, Jul 19, 2021 2:05 PM

I too have it working on all axes (without starting the
3DConnexion Driver, and with only the HIDAPI checkbox enabled).

But I find it almost impossible to smoothly perform the basic
navigations:

Rotate/Tilt model = Drag with left mouse pressed
Move (translate) the viewport = Drag with right mouse pressed
Zoom/Scale = Middle mouse wheel

The first two I can emulate, clumsily, but cannot get Zoom.

I don't understand the settings under OpenSCAD > Edit >
Preferences > Axes. Initially I simply copied Torsten's. I've
tried variations. But, however they are configured, they all
revert to the original ('None') on restarting OpenSCAD. Yet they
apparently continue to work. Anyone else get that? If not, perhaps
it's because I do have the 3D Connexion software installed,
despite the driver not being active when I run OpenSCAD.

Anyway, interesting, but I'll stick with the built-in navigation.

Now, if only I could customise Cura's to be identical...

Terry

On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote:

I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor
whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a
huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed
it.
See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled.

No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB
device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported).

As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab
the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if
you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install.

ciao,
Torsten.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I too have it working on all axes (without starting the 3DConnexion Driver, and with only the HIDAPI checkbox enabled). But I find it almost impossible to smoothly perform the basic navigations: Rotate/Tilt model = Drag with left mouse pressed Move (translate) the viewport = Drag with right mouse pressed Zoom/Scale = Middle mouse wheel The first two I can emulate, clumsily, but cannot get Zoom. I don't understand the settings under OpenSCAD > Edit > Preferences > Axes. Initially I simply copied Torsten's. I've tried variations. But, however they are configured, they all revert to the original ('None') on restarting OpenSCAD. Yet they apparently continue to work. Anyone else get that? If not, perhaps it's because I *do* have the 3D Connexion software *installed*, despite the driver not being active when I run OpenSCAD. Anyway, interesting, but I'll stick with the built-in navigation. Now, if only I could customise Cura's to be identical... Terry ==================== On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 07:40:33 -0400, you wrote: >The SpaceNav here works in all axes.  It takes a while to get used to, >but being able to translate and rotate all with one device is >[theoretically] nice.  I have yet to get it to zoom. > >:) > >On 7/19/2021 7:32 AM, Terry wrote: >> I use it frequently, but exclusively with Google Earth. I've just tried >> it in OpenSCAD, after bringing up the settings dialog using the left >> button. But I have not managed to do anything other than zoom. Rotation >> and lateral navigation still have to be done with the normal mouse and >> key controls. If you discover more I'd be keen to know. >> >> Note that it's some years since I installed it so there may be updates >> available. >> >> Terry >> >> >> >> >> >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 21:44:25 -0400, you wrote: >> >>> Thanks! >>> >>> Even with the HIDAPI box checked, and even after re-starting OpenSCAD, >>> the SpaceNav check box remains greyed out. >>> >>> On 7/18/2021 9:27 PM, Torsten Paul wrote: >>>> On 19.07.21 03:01, jon wrote: >>>>> I am confused.  Not sure how to "enable the HIDAPI driver" nor >>>>> whether I need to install special software.  I downloaded a >>>>> huge package from the manufacturer but have not yet installed >>>>> it. >>>> See attached screenshot. This checkbox needs to be enabled. >>>> >>>> No other driver is needed, OpenSCAD will directly use the USB >>>> device (and so far only 3DConnexion USB devices are supported). >>>> >>>> As Michael confirmed, the driver from 3DConnexion will grab >>>> the device and make it impossible to use with OpenSCAD. So if >>>> you did not need that up to now, there's no reason to install. >>>> >>>> ciao, >>>> Torsten. >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org