View all threads

Re: Determining X and Y for the intersection of a conic section and rotated plane given Y

Terrypin
Thu, Jun 17, 2021 2:46 PM
This may be useful, although I fear a substantial amount of maths lies ahead! https://www.quora.com/What-is-intersection-of-a-true-cone-and-a-plane <https://www.quora.com/What-is-intersection-of-a-true-cone-and-a-plane> Terry -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
WF
William F. Adams
Thu, Jun 17, 2021 2:53 PM

Thanks!
I'll look at it ---and of course, there was a typo in my post: "For a given Y, how do I calculate the X and Y of the intersection of the cone and the plane? I want to step through it and essentially draw a series of lines along the top of the shape." should instead be:
For a given Y, how do I calculate the X and Z of the intersection of the cone and the plane? I want to step through it and essentially draw a series of lines along the top of the shape.

William

-----Original Message-----
From: Terrypin terrypingm@gmail.com
To: discuss@lists.openscad.org
Sent: Thu, Jun 17, 2021 10:46 am
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Determining X and Y for the intersection of a conic section and rotated plane given Y

This may be useful, although I fear a substantial amount of maths lies ahead!

https://www.quora.com/What-is-intersection-of-a-true-cone-and-a-plane

Terry

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Thanks! I'll look at it ---and of course, there was a typo in my post: "For a given Y, how do I calculate the X and Y of the intersection of the cone and the plane? I want to step through it and essentially draw a series of lines along the top of the shape." should instead be: For a given Y, how do I calculate the X and _Z_ of the intersection of the cone and the plane? I want to step through it and essentially draw a series of lines along the top of the shape. William -----Original Message----- From: Terrypin <terrypingm@gmail.com> To: discuss@lists.openscad.org Sent: Thu, Jun 17, 2021 10:46 am Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Determining X and Y for the intersection of a conic section and rotated plane given Y This may be useful, although I fear a substantial amount of maths lies ahead! https://www.quora.com/What-is-intersection-of-a-true-cone-and-a-plane Terry Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com. _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org