View all threads

How to simplify this model?

JeffHaas
Mon, Mar 29, 2021 11:14 PM

I'm a new user to OpenSCAD (but not to coding).  I downloaded the following
model from Thingiverse:
Parametric Balloon Nozzle https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820765

When I open the SCAD file the designer included, it takes 1 min 22 seconds
just to show it.  At first I thought the software had crashed, but it was
just taking a long time to show the model.

Any time I make a change to a parameter, it again takes a long time to
render.  I've worked with other models and they render in seconds on my
computer (Intel Core i7).

Also, when I try to print the STL from Thingiverse (slicing via Cura),
something screws up the printer and it doesn't extrude any filament!

Looking through the posts I can see that there are ways to simplify a model,
but as a new user to this software, I could use some suggestions.

File is attached.  Thank you for any help!
BalloonRocketNozzle.scad
http://forum.openscad.org/file/t3178/BalloonRocketNozzle.scad

I'm a new user to OpenSCAD (but not to coding). I downloaded the following model from Thingiverse: Parametric Balloon Nozzle <https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820765> When I open the SCAD file the designer included, it takes 1 min 22 seconds just to show it. At first I thought the software had crashed, but it was just taking a long time to show the model. Any time I make a change to a parameter, it again takes a long time to render. I've worked with other models and they render in seconds on my computer (Intel Core i7). Also, when I try to print the STL from Thingiverse (slicing via Cura), something screws up the printer and it doesn't extrude any filament! Looking through the posts I can see that there are ways to simplify a model, but as a new user to this software, I could use some suggestions. File is attached. Thank you for any help! BalloonRocketNozzle.scad <http://forum.openscad.org/file/t3178/BalloonRocketNozzle.scad> -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
fred
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 12:36 AM

I reduced the facet count ($fn) from 120 to 60 and it takes seconds to preview and render, even after a change.

On Monday, March 29, 2021, 7:14:50 PM EDT, JeffHaas <jeff.jh.haas@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a new user to OpenSCAD (but not to coding).  I downloaded the following model from Thingiverse:
Parametric Balloon Nozzle

When I open the SCAD file the designer included, it takes 1 min 22 seconds just to show it.  At first I thought the software had crashed, but it was just taking a long time to show the model.

Any time I make a change to a parameter, it again takes a long time to render.  I've worked with other models and they render in seconds on my computer (Intel Core i7).

Also, when I try to print the STL from Thingiverse (slicing via Cura), something screws up the printer and it doesn't extrude any filament!

Looking through the posts I can see that there are ways to simplify a model, but as a new user to this software, I could use some suggestions.

File is attached.  Thank you for any help!
BalloonRocketNozzle.scad

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I reduced the facet count ($fn) from 120 to 60 and it takes seconds to preview and render, even after a change. On Monday, March 29, 2021, 7:14:50 PM EDT, JeffHaas <jeff.jh.haas@gmail.com> wrote: I'm a new user to OpenSCAD (but not to coding).  I downloaded the following model from Thingiverse: Parametric Balloon Nozzle When I open the SCAD file the designer included, it takes 1 min 22 seconds just to show it.  At first I thought the software had crashed, but it was just taking a long time to show the model. Any time I make a change to a parameter, it again takes a long time to render.  I've worked with other models and they render in seconds on my computer (Intel Core i7). Also, when I try to print the STL from Thingiverse (slicing via Cura), something screws up the printer and it doesn't extrude any filament! Looking through the posts I can see that there are ways to simplify a model, but as a new user to this software, I could use some suggestions. File is attached.  Thank you for any help! BalloonRocketNozzle.scad Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com. _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
MichaelAtOz
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 1:15 AM

Also replace Oskar's older library functions with these

module fillet(r) {
offset(r = -r) {
offset(delta = r) {
children();
}
}
}

module rounding(r) {
offset(r = r) {
offset(delta = -r) {
children();
}
}
}

Which use the newer built-in offset() which is much faster.
Well under 1s even with $fn=120. (but only use such high $fn for the final
render, not in dev.)

OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything,  or if I've done something stupid...

  • on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Also replace Oskar's older library functions with these module fillet(r) { offset(r = -r) { offset(delta = r) { children(); } } } module rounding(r) { offset(r = r) { offset(delta = -r) { children(); } } } Which use the newer built-in offset() which is much faster. Well under 1s even with $fn=120. (but only use such high $fn for the final render, not in dev.) ----- OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid... * on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me. Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above. -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
adrianv
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 1:25 AM

The answer is to replace the inefficient inset() and outset() modules with
references to offset().  This code was written for a very old OpenSCAD that
didn't have offset().  With this change it displays in 0.3 s for me with
$fn=120, and render takes 2.5s.  See attached code.
BalloonRocketNozzle.scad
http://forum.openscad.org/file/t2477/BalloonRocketNozzle.scad

JeffHaas wrote

[...]

discuss-leave@.openscad

The answer is to replace the inefficient inset() and outset() modules with references to offset(). This code was written for a very old OpenSCAD that didn't have offset(). With this change it displays in 0.3 s for me with $fn=120, and render takes 2.5s. See attached code. BalloonRocketNozzle.scad <http://forum.openscad.org/file/t2477/BalloonRocketNozzle.scad> JeffHaas wrote > I'm a new user to OpenSCAD (but not to coding). I downloaded the > following > model from Thingiverse: > Parametric Balloon Nozzle > &lt;https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820765&gt; > > When I open the SCAD file the designer included, it takes 1 min 22 seconds > just to show it. At first I thought the software had crashed, but it was > just taking a long time to show the model. > > Any time I make a change to a parameter, it again takes a long time to > render. I've worked with other models and they render in seconds on my > computer (Intel Core i7). > > Also, when I try to print the STL from Thingiverse (slicing via Cura), > something screws up the printer and it doesn't extrude any filament! > > Looking through the posts I can see that there are ways to simplify a > model, > but as a new user to this software, I could use some suggestions. > > File is attached. Thank you for any help! > BalloonRocketNozzle.scad > &lt;http://forum.openscad.org/file/t3178/BalloonRocketNozzle.scad&gt; > > > > > > -- > Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/ > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to > discuss-leave@.openscad -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
DM
David Merchant
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 1:37 AM

HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the
list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern
me, is a bit too much for my little brain.

Thanks,

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

jon
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 1:44 AM

David:

Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org"

On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote:

HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the
list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern
me, is a bit too much for my little brain.

Thanks,

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

David: Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org" On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote: > HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the > list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern > me, is a bit too much for my little brain. > > Thanks, > > >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
jon
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 1:54 AM

David replied to me that he did send that discuss-leave email (he failed
to hit Reply All, something I often forget to do with this email system).

So the question would be "did his email make it" and "is that facility
working"

Jon

On 3/29/2021 9:44 PM, jon wrote:

David:

Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org"

On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote:

HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the
list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern
me, is a bit too much for my little brain.

Thanks,

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

David replied to me that he did send that discuss-leave email (he failed to hit Reply All, something I often forget to do with this email system). So the question would be "did his email make it" and "is that facility working" Jon On 3/29/2021 9:44 PM, jon wrote: > David: > > Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org" > > > On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote: >> HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the >> list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern >> me, is a bit too much for my little brain. >> >> Thanks, >> >> >>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
MichaelAtOz
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 2:05 AM

I'm emailing him.

On 3/29/2021 9:44 PM, jon wrote:

David:

Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org"

On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote:

HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the
list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern
me, is a bit too much for my little brain.

Thanks,

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

https://www.avg.com

I'm emailing him. > -----Original Message----- > From: jon [mailto:jon@jonbondy.com] > Sent: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:55 > To: OpenSCAD general discussion; David Merchant > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Get no more of these emails? > > David replied to me that he did send that discuss-leave email (he failed > to hit Reply All, something I often forget to do with this email system). > > So the question would be "did his email make it" and "is that facility > working" > > Jon > > > On 3/29/2021 9:44 PM, jon wrote: > > David: > > > > Did you send an email to "discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org" > > > > > > On 3/29/2021 9:37 PM, David Merchant wrote: > >> HOW do I turn off this list?  I already removed myself from the > >> list-server (I think!)  600+ emails per week, most that don't concern > >> me, is a bit too much for my little brain. > >> > >> Thanks, > >> > >> > >>> OpenSCAD mailing list > >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > >> _______________________________________________ > >> OpenSCAD mailing list > >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > >> > > _______________________________________________ > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
JeffHaas
Tue, Mar 30, 2021 5:47 AM

Thank you everyone for the fast replies!

These tips solved the issue, now it is blazingly fast.  I'm testing how
these print, and the first one went fine, so later I plan to upload a
"remix" of the files to Thingiverse that includes these suggestions for
improvements (with full credit to the posts on this forum) as well as
corrected STLs.

Later I'll work my way through the tutorials.

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you everyone for the fast replies! These tips solved the issue, now it is blazingly fast. I'm testing how these print, and the first one went fine, so later I plan to upload a "remix" of the files to Thingiverse that includes these suggestions for improvements (with full credit to the posts on this forum) as well as corrected STLs. Later I'll work my way through the tutorials. Thanks again for the help. -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/