FYI

KS
Keith Sloan
Thu, Nov 17, 2022 7:25 PM

Neri

The FreeCAD Part Design workbench as a hole tool for creating threads see  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkNqsATWcs

You would have to activate the FreeCAD Part Design workbench and create a Body and copy the imported OpenSCAD model
to the body, you should then be able to create a hole with a thread.

Keith

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:21:07 +0000
From: neri-engineeringneri-engineering@protonmail.com
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Fwd: Re: SolidWorks & OpenSCAD
interoperability
To: OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list
discuss@lists.openscad.org

Bingo.

I used the OpenSCAD Workbench in FreeCAD, loaded my SCAD file, and generated a STEP file.  The guys at job shop loved it, and now they think I'm a wizard.  They can do everything as usual within SolidWorks.

There are two problems that I will encounter, as you alluded to.

First problem is with threads.  I generate my own polyhedron().

Second problem is bevel gear teeth.  I also generate by own polyhedron().

To get around this, they have requested that for the thread I include the major diameter for screws, and minor diameter for threaded hole.  They then "cut it" using their tool.

For teeth, they requested that I include the shape that is pre-tooth-cuts.  This also makes sense.  So for example my bevel gears have spherical-shaped stumps, so I need to just give them the spherical shell before the teeth are cut.  Maybe I can add some markings or indents that show more clearly where the teeth start.

Results of using FreeCAD in combination with OpenSCAD look very promising.  I won't abandon OpenSCAD.  Absolutely wonderful tool it is.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

--
https://www.instagram.com/ksloan1952/

Neri The FreeCAD Part Design workbench as a hole tool for creating threads see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkNqsATWcs You would have to activate the FreeCAD Part Design workbench and create a Body and copy the imported OpenSCAD model to the body, you should then be able to create a hole with a thread. Keith Message: 2 Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:21:07 +0000 From: neri-engineering<neri-engineering@protonmail.com> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Fwd: Re: SolidWorks & OpenSCAD interoperability To: OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Message-ID: <eeoS5Td-JUXgB9PgWuG5ye1jsYfN5pq_enwyzDIU_HmY7DsJJ9QcKtTyS Ga-GoiBeWZe19sDkhCQOM9RTgaoPyYehGVM_X88B8o4vC7OzlU=@protonmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Bingo. I used the OpenSCAD Workbench in FreeCAD, loaded my SCAD file, and generated a STEP file. The guys at job shop loved it, and now they think I'm a wizard. They can do everything as usual within SolidWorks. There are two problems that I will encounter, as you alluded to. First problem is with threads. I generate my own polyhedron(). Second problem is bevel gear teeth. I also generate by own polyhedron(). To get around this, they have requested that for the thread I include the major diameter for screws, and minor diameter for threaded hole. They then "cut it" using their tool. For teeth, they requested that I include the shape that is pre-tooth-cuts. This also makes sense. So for example my bevel gears have spherical-shaped stumps, so I need to just give them the spherical shell before the teeth are cut. Maybe I can add some markings or indents that show more clearly where the teeth start. Results of using FreeCAD in combination with OpenSCAD look very promising. I won't abandon OpenSCAD. Absolutely wonderful tool it is. Sent with Proton Mail secure email. -- ========== Art & Ceramics =========== https://www.instagram.com/ksloan1952/