Re: text output

AM
Adrian Mariano
Tue, Sep 21, 2021 10:58 PM

I thought one of the reasons generic output didn't exist is that it's
a malware enabler.  If OpenSCAD can write arbitrary files it becomes
much more dangerous to run random code that you run across.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 6:54 PM William F. Adams via Discuss
discuss@lists.openscad.org wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "William F. Adams" willadams@aol.com
To: "discuss@lists.openscad.org" discuss@lists.openscad.org
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 22:53:51 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: text output
Yes, but one still has to do that, for each file, for each time it's run, and set it up for each project. That's a lot of duplicated effort.

I don't want to use OpenSCAD as a word-processor --- I want to use it as a programmatic system for generating geometry and associated files:

  • bill of material
  • assembly instructions
  • G-Code for cutting out parts
  • SVGs w/ curves as opposed to polylines

Lots of folks have had this need, and lots of folks have solved it in a number of ways (and I appreciate the right-click menu entries which make working w/ the Log easier), but it would help a lot of folks work much more comfortably and efficiently to have a way to write out text files which are directly usable and with the ability to control the file extension.

What would be involved in creating a Bounty for this?

How should it be worded?

Anyone able to estimate how much would be needed to attract the attention of a developer?

William