Re: Novice, confused about saving files

AC
A. Craig West
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:01 PM

Generally the work flow I use is to paramaterise everything, but make the
edits in the code. The customiser is useful in this case to try different
values to see how they look, and when I find some that seems worth trying,
I set the value in the editor and save it

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 06:56 Terrypin via Discuss, discuss@lists.openscad.org
wrote:

<Wrapped message - DMARC mitigation>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Terrypin T.pinnell@btinternet.com
To: discuss@lists.openscad.org
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 03:56:06 -0700 (MST)
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Novice, confused about saving files
OK, I'm clearly on my own about this then. So I'll defer to the experts
rather than press my case further!

However I'd appreciate suggestions on how to overcome the minor
frustration that prompted this thread. Six weeks into this hobby I'm
working with several types of SCAD file and workflow differs between them.
Files for simple learning exercises are irrelevant in the present context.
If there are any parameters, or I add them, I don't use Customizer but edit
directly.

There are also more complex models that I'm impatient to use to get stuff
printed, even before fully understanding the code. Take the current example
of nophead's 'Polygonal hole test'. I downloaded the SCAD from
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6118 to
C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\3D Printer\PROJECTS\Polygonal_hole_test\nophead
original\polyholes.scad
and opened it in OpenSCAD then gave it the new name and location of
C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\3D
Printer\PROJECTS\Polygonal_hole_test\polyholes-e1.stl
where the '-e1' suffix indicates my first edit.

It's not parameterised so I customised it by editing the code as shown.
(This was to get a much smaller 'test template', as I mainly want holes for
the lids of small project cases, with size M2, M3 or M4 screws/bolts.)

I then saved the STL as polyholes-e1.scad, opened that in Cura for
slicing, where I saved an image including settings as polyholes-e1.jpg, and
then saved the result as polyholes-e1.gcode and printed it.

All four file types have identical names for fast access.

Suppose I then decided that I'd like to add a seventh hole. I could simply
open my latest edit and proceed to make that further change.

If the model had been parametrised, at this stage of my ignorance I might
have impatiently sacrificed the learning opportunity and used the
Customizer. But that would not have allowed me to save an appropriately
named new SCAD file. My intuitive workflow - one I'm used to in just about
every other application, such as those I listed earlier - would then be
broken.

Terry (who doesn't know an AST from an elbow! )

at Nabble.com.

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Generally the work flow I use is to paramaterise everything, but make the edits in the code. The customiser is useful in this case to try different values to see how they look, and when I find some that seems worth trying, I set the value in the editor and save it On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 06:56 Terrypin via Discuss, <discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > <Wrapped message - DMARC mitigation> > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Terrypin <T.pinnell@btinternet.com> > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Cc: > Bcc: > Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 03:56:06 -0700 (MST) > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Novice, confused about saving files > OK, I'm clearly on my own about this then. So I'll defer to the experts > rather than press my case further! > > However I'd appreciate suggestions on how to overcome the minor > frustration that prompted this thread. Six weeks into this hobby I'm > working with several types of SCAD file and workflow differs between them. > Files for simple learning exercises are irrelevant in the present context. > If there are any parameters, or I add them, I don't use Customizer but edit > directly. > > There are also more complex models that I'm impatient to use to get stuff > printed, even before fully understanding the code. Take the current example > of nophead's 'Polygonal hole test'. I downloaded the SCAD from > https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6118 to > C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\3D Printer\PROJECTS\Polygonal_hole_test\nophead > original\polyholes.scad > and opened it in OpenSCAD then gave it the new name and location of > C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\3D > Printer\PROJECTS\Polygonal_hole_test\polyholes-e1.stl > where the '-e1' suffix indicates my first edit. > > It's not parameterised so I customised it by editing the code as shown. > (This was to get a much smaller 'test template', as I mainly want holes for > the lids of small project cases, with size M2, M3 or M4 screws/bolts.) > > I then saved the STL as polyholes-e1.scad, opened that in Cura for > slicing, where I saved an image including settings as polyholes-e1.jpg, and > then saved the result as polyholes-e1.gcode and printed it. > > All four file types have identical names for fast access. > > Suppose I then decided that I'd like to add a seventh hole. I could simply > open my latest edit and proceed to make that further change. > > If the model had been parametrised, at this stage of my ignorance I might > have impatiently sacrificed the learning opportunity and used the > Customizer. But that would not have allowed me to save an appropriately > named new SCAD file. My intuitive workflow - one I'm used to in just about > every other application, such as those I listed earlier - would then be > broken. > > Terry (who doesn't know an AST from an elbow! ) > ------------------------------ > Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive <http://forum.openscad.org/> > at Nabble.com. > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >