discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Using MCAD\involute_gears.scad

NS
Nathan Sokalski
Thu, May 2, 2024 6:27 PM

I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this library? Thanks!

Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.commailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com

[...]
AM
Adrian Mariano
Thu, May 2, 2024 8:41 PM

My suggestion is that you use a different gear library.  I personally
wouldn't recommend MCAD for any purpose.

Try going here for an explanation of how gears work and a well documented
library to make them:
https://github.com/BelfrySCAD/BOSL2/wiki/gears.scad#section-quick-introduction-to-gears

Note, however, that worm gears are broken.  (If anybody knows how to make a
correct enveloping worm gear, get in touch.)

On Thu, May 2, 2024, 14:27 Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <
discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote:

[...]

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

My suggestion is that you use a different gear library. I personally wouldn't recommend MCAD for any purpose. Try going here for an explanation of how gears work and a well documented library to make them: https://github.com/BelfrySCAD/BOSL2/wiki/gears.scad#section-quick-introduction-to-gears Note, however, that worm gears are broken. (If anybody knows how to make a correct enveloping worm gear, get in touch.) On Thu, May 2, 2024, 14:27 Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 > round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use > the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good > detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy > gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a > rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of > variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to > know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. > But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with > default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module > has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values > of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of > these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me > wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back > to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this > library? Thanks! > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
NS
Nathan Sokalski
Thu, May 2, 2024 8:47 PM

Thank you for that response, I'll try to take a look at that ASAP.

On Thu, May 2, 2024, 14:27 Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote:
[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Thank you for that response, I'll try to take a look at that ASAP. Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com<mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> ________________________________ From: Adrian Mariano via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2024 4:41 PM To: OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Cc: Adrian Mariano <avm4@cornell.edu> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Using MCAD\involute_gears.scad My suggestion is that you use a different gear library. I personally wouldn't recommend MCAD for any purpose. Try going here for an explanation of how gears work and a well documented library to make them: https://github.com/BelfrySCAD/BOSL2/wiki/gears.scad#section-quick-introduction-to-gears Note, however, that worm gears are broken. (If anybody knows how to make a correct enveloping worm gear, get in touch.) On Thu, May 2, 2024, 14:27 Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this library? Thanks! Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com<mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org>
LM
Leonard Martin Struttmann
Thu, May 2, 2024 9:06 PM

When I was making gears in OpenScad, I found this library to be very useful:

https://github.com/dpellegr/PolyGear

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 3:48 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <
[...]

When I was making gears in OpenScad, I found this library to be very useful: https://github.com/dpellegr/PolyGear On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 3:48 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > Thank you for that response, I'll try to take a look at that ASAP. > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > ------------------------------ > *From:* Adrian Mariano via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > *Sent:* Thursday, May 2, 2024 4:41 PM > *To:* OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list <discuss@lists.openscad.org > > > *Cc:* Adrian Mariano <avm4@cornell.edu> > *Subject:* [OpenSCAD] Re: Using MCAD\involute_gears.scad > > My suggestion is that you use a different gear library. I personally > wouldn't recommend MCAD for any purpose. > > Try going here for an explanation of how gears work and a well documented > library to make them: > > https://github.com/BelfrySCAD/BOSL2/wiki/gears.scad#section-quick-introduction-to-gears > > Note, however, that worm gears are broken. (If anybody knows how to make > a correct enveloping worm gear, get in touch.) > > On Thu, May 2, 2024, 14:27 Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 > round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use > the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good > detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy > gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a > rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of > variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to > know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. > But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with > default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module > has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values > of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of > these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me > wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back > to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this > library? Thanks! > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
BC
Bob Carlson
Fri, May 3, 2024 10:10 PM

I’ve used the BOSL2 gears a little bit and they worked well. The parameters were a little quirky because specifying gears is quirky as it turns out. I had the naive idea you could specify a diameter and number teeth, but no. I had to specify pitch and one or two other things, then I could get the various measurement info back from some other functions.

Good luck!

-Bob

On May 2, 2024, at 11:27, Nathan Sokalski via Discuss discuss@lists.openscad.org wrote:

[...]

I’ve used the BOSL2 gears a little bit and they worked well. The parameters were a little quirky because specifying gears is quirky as it turns out. I had the naive idea you could specify a diameter and number teeth, but no. I had to specify pitch and one or two other things, then I could get the various measurement info back from some other functions. Good luck! -Bob > On May 2, 2024, at 11:27, Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this library? Thanks! > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com <mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org <mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org>
AM
Adrian Mariano
Fri, May 3, 2024 10:32 PM

I'm not sure quirky is exactly how I'd characterize the issue.  If you
specify number of teeth and diameter then you've constrained tooth size.
Gears can only mesh if they are the same tooth size (among other things),
so that means if you specify gears that way, you'll be unlikely to ever get
two that can mesh.  So you necessarily have to start with tooth size, which
is most naturally (due to how gear math works) given as the "module" of the
gear.  At this point if you specify a number of teeth that determines the
radius.  Or you could pick a radius and that will determine the number of
teeth.  You can tweak the radius with profile shifting or by making helical
gears at different angles.  The whole business of gears is about 10x more
complicated than I realized before got sucked into debugging the gear
code.

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 6:11 PM Bob Carlson via Discuss <
[...]

I'm not sure quirky is exactly how I'd characterize the issue. If you specify number of teeth and diameter then you've constrained tooth size. Gears can only mesh if they are the same tooth size (among other things), so that means if you specify gears that way, you'll be unlikely to ever get two that can mesh. So you necessarily have to start with tooth size, which is most naturally (due to how gear math works) given as the "module" of the gear. At this point if you specify a number of teeth that determines the radius. Or you could pick a radius and that will determine the number of teeth. You can tweak the radius with profile shifting or by making helical gears at different angles. The whole business of gears is about 10x more complicated than I realized before got sucked into debugging the gear code. On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 6:11 PM Bob Carlson via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > I’ve used the BOSL2 gears a little bit and they worked well. The > parameters were a little quirky because specifying gears is quirky as it > turns out. I had the naive idea you could specify a diameter and number > teeth, but no. I had to specify pitch and one or two other things, then I > could get the various measurement info back from some other functions. > > Good luck! > > -Bob > > On May 2, 2024, at 11:27, Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 > round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use > the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good > detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy > gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a > rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of > variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to > know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. > But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with > default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module > has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values > of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of > these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me > wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back > to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this > library? Thanks! > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
BC
Bob Carlson
Sat, May 4, 2024 11:57 PM

Yeah, if you don’t like quirky, pick your adjective. Intuitive it is not. It makes sense once you spend some time looking into it, but you  really do have to invest the time. And thanks for debugging it. And I just came across and used catenary which apparently did not exist a couple of months ago. Handy.

-Bob

On May 2, 2024, at 11:27, Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, if you don’t like quirky, pick your adjective. Intuitive it is not. It makes sense once you spend some time looking into it, but you really do have to invest the time. And thanks for debugging it. And I just came across and used catenary which apparently did not exist a couple of months ago. Handy. -Bob > On May 3, 2024, at 15:32, Adrian Mariano via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > I'm not sure quirky is exactly how I'd characterize the issue. If you specify number of teeth and diameter then you've constrained tooth size. Gears can only mesh if they are the same tooth size (among other things), so that means if you specify gears that way, you'll be unlikely to ever get two that can mesh. So you necessarily have to start with tooth size, which is most naturally (due to how gear math works) given as the "module" of the gear. At this point if you specify a number of teeth that determines the radius. Or you could pick a radius and that will determine the number of teeth. You can tweak the radius with profile shifting or by making helical gears at different angles. The whole business of gears is about 10x more complicated than I realized before got sucked into debugging the gear code. > > On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 6:11 PM Bob Carlson via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org <mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: >> I’ve used the BOSL2 gears a little bit and they worked well. The parameters were a little quirky because specifying gears is quirky as it turns out. I had the naive idea you could specify a diameter and number teeth, but no. I had to specify pitch and one or two other things, then I could get the various measurement info back from some other functions. >> >> Good luck! >> >> -Bob >> >>> On May 2, 2024, at 11:27, Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org <mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: >>> >>> I am working on adding gears to my OpenSCAD model (specifically 1 flat & 1 round to create a sliding structure). I am trying to figure out how to use the modules in the MCAD\involute_gears.scad library. Are there any good detailed tutorials on this library? I don't plan on creating a fancy gearbox or any other complex structure, just a sliding platform moved by a rotating gear. The involute_gears.scad library had a lot of variables/parameters (not to say they aren't necessary, but I still need to know what they are), so I am looking for a good reference and/or tutorial. But one thing I did notice is that some of the modules have parameters with default values that are of the wrong type. For example, the rack(…) module has parameters named circular_pitch & diametral_pitch with default values of false, which causes a warning. I will probably end up specifying most of these parameters anyway (once I learn what they all are), but it makes me wonder why default values would be specified as the wrong type? Any, back to the main question, is there any good documentation or tutorials for this library? Thanks! >>> >>> Nathan Sokalski >>> njsokalski@hotmail.com <mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org <mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org <mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org