Fwd: Box lid "finger indentation" - rounded ellipsoidal indentation?

WF
William F. Adams
Thu, Jan 13, 2022 3:01 PM

I've been looking at this sort of thing:

https://willadams.gitbook.io/design-into-3d/radiused-fingerjoints
I just find it more workable to model how the cutting will be done --- unfortunately, that really bogs down performance-wise.
William

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Witte jim.witte@gmail.com
To: OpenSCAD general discussion discuss@lists.openscad.org
Sent: Thu, Jan 13, 2022 12:36 am
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Box lid "finger indentation" - rounded ellipsoidal indentation?

I'm designing a jewelry box and want to "finger indentation" on the lid/box seam, and I've got the following sketch of a cube with a subrarted ellipsoid:
difference() {
    color("green")
        translate([0,0,3])
            cube([20,30,6], center=true);

    // Pocket ellipsoid
    color("purple", 0.7)
        translate([0,-15,0])
            scale([2, 2, 0.9])
                sphere(3, center=true, $fn=30);
}   // if difference

Except this has sharp edges at the intersection across the front and bottom faces.  How could I round these off?  (Without importing it into Fusion which I don't know how to do - but I'm sure it would take about 5 seconds if I did).
I guessed that I might use minkowski with a small sphere - but that doesn't seem to work, takes forever, and messes with the geometry outside "just the pocket".
I thought of making two toruses along the front and bottom edges of the pocket, but can't figure out what boolean operations to use too combine them right.  Careful placement of the tori, then union them will the whole model, then one or more unions with the model?
Jim

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I've been looking at this sort of thing: https://willadams.gitbook.io/design-into-3d/radiused-fingerjoints I just find it more workable to model how the cutting will be done --- unfortunately, that really bogs down performance-wise. William -----Original Message----- From: Jim Witte <jim.witte@gmail.com> To: OpenSCAD general discussion <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Sent: Thu, Jan 13, 2022 12:36 am Subject: [OpenSCAD] Box lid "finger indentation" - rounded ellipsoidal indentation? I'm designing a jewelry box and want to "finger indentation" on the lid/box seam, and I've got the following sketch of a cube with a subrarted ellipsoid: difference() {     color("green")         translate([0,0,3])             cube([20,30,6], center=true);         // Pocket ellipsoid     color("purple", 0.7)         translate([0,-15,0])             scale([2, 2, 0.9])                 sphere(3, center=true, $fn=30); }   // if difference Except this has sharp edges at the intersection across the front and bottom faces.  How could I round these off?  (Without importing it into Fusion which I don't know how to do - but I'm sure it would take about 5 seconds if I did). I guessed that I might use minkowski with a small sphere - but that doesn't seem to work, takes forever, and messes with the geometry outside "just the pocket". I thought of making two toruses along the front and bottom edges of the pocket, but can't figure out what boolean operations to use too combine them right.  Careful placement of the tori, then union them will the whole model, then one or more unions with the model? Jim _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org