discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Using a second screen ?

Dave
Mon, Apr 26, 2021 1:36 PM

Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and onto
a second screen ??

If not, perhaps it would make a nice upgrade for OpenSCAD ??

Regards,
Dave

Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and onto a second screen ?? If not, perhaps it would make a nice upgrade for OpenSCAD ?? Regards, Dave
CN
Csaba Nagy
Mon, Apr 26, 2021 2:15 PM

Hi Dave,

You can actually do that by:

  • open the file you edit a second time;
  • move the new preview window on the second screen;
  • hide the editor/toolbar/console/customizer on the preview window;

OpenScad will reload the preview window too each time you save the file
in the editor view. This works just as well if you use a different
editor and not the built in one !

Cheers,
Csaba

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 14:36 +0100, Dave wrote:

Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and
onto
a second screen ??

If not, perhaps it would make a nice upgrade for OpenSCAD ??

Regards,
Dave

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Hi Dave, You can actually do that by: * open the file you edit a second time; * move the new preview window on the second screen; * hide the editor/toolbar/console/customizer on the preview window; OpenScad will reload the preview window too each time you save the file in the editor view. This works just as well if you use a different editor and not the built in one ! Cheers, Csaba On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 14:36 +0100, Dave wrote: > Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and > onto > a second screen ?? > > If not, perhaps it would make a nice upgrade for OpenSCAD ?? > > Regards, > Dave > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
bassklampfe
Mon, Apr 26, 2021 2:32 PM

At least it is possible to pull the editor out of the main window onto a
second screen. This is what I do. Although it's confusing to have the
Menu-Bar for the editor still in the main window and not in the edit window.
And, Yes, I'd agree: It would be much nicer if one could pull the 3d-window
out of the main window. In fact you can pull /any/ window out of the main
window but the 3d-view :-/

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

At least it is possible to pull the editor out of the main window onto a second screen. This is what I do. Although it's confusing to have the Menu-Bar for the editor still in the main window and not in the edit window. And, Yes, I'd agree: It would be much nicer if one could pull the 3d-window out of the main window. In fact you can pull /any/ window out of the main window but the 3d-view :-/ -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
JB
Jordan Brown
Mon, Apr 26, 2021 2:46 PM

On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote:

Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and
onto a second screen ??

Sure.  Edit / Preferences / Advanced; check "Enable undocking of Editor
and Console to separate windows".  Then drag the editor, console, et
cetera out into their own windows, and put each of the windows wherever
you like.

As others have noted, the preview window is considered the main window,
so you have to move everything else out of it, rather than moving it away.

It would be a nice tweak to make the preview window be undockable, so
that the main window is an empty shell that can contain whichever of the
five sub-windows you want it to contain.  Making it possible to hide the
preview window would be symmetric, but I don't know how often it would
be useful.

On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote: > Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and > onto a second screen ?? Sure.  Edit / Preferences / Advanced; check "Enable undocking of Editor and Console to separate windows".  Then drag the editor, console, et cetera out into their own windows, and put each of the windows wherever you like. As others have noted, the preview window is considered the main window, so you have to move everything else out of it, rather than moving it away. It would be a nice tweak to make the preview window be undockable, so that the main window is an empty shell that can contain whichever of the five sub-windows you want it to contain.  Making it possible to hide the preview window would be symmetric, but I don't know how often it would be useful.
ML
Matthias Liffers
Tue, Apr 27, 2021 12:32 AM

Tangentially answering your question - I use VS code to write my scad
files, with an OpenSCAD window open on a second monitor. OpenSCAD detects
changes to open files and regenerates the preview each time.

Matthias.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 22:46, Jordan Brown openscad@jordan.maileater.net
wrote:

On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote:

[...]

Tangentially answering your question - I use VS code to write my scad files, with an OpenSCAD window open on a second monitor. OpenSCAD detects changes to open files and regenerates the preview each time. Matthias. On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 22:46, Jordan Brown <openscad@jordan.maileater.net> wrote: > On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote: > > Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and onto a > second screen ?? > > > Sure. Edit / Preferences / Advanced; check "Enable undocking of Editor > and Console to separate windows". Then drag the editor, console, et cetera > out into their own windows, and put each of the windows wherever you like. > > As others have noted, the preview window is considered the main window, so > you have to move everything else out of it, rather than moving it away. > > It would be a nice tweak to make the preview window be undockable, so that > the main window is an empty shell that can contain whichever of the five > sub-windows you want it to contain. Making it possible to hide the preview > window would be symmetric, but I don't know how often it would be useful. > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
MichaelAtOz
Tue, Apr 27, 2021 1:46 AM

When Design/Automatic-reload-and-preview is enabled.

On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote:

[...]

https://www.avg.com

When Design/Automatic-reload-and-preview is enabled. _____ From: Matthias Liffers [mailto:m@tthi.as] Sent: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:33 To: OpenSCAD general discussion Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Using a second screen ? Tangentially answering your question - I use VS code to write my scad files, with an OpenSCAD window open on a second monitor. OpenSCAD detects changes to open files and regenerates the preview each time. Matthias. On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 22:46, Jordan Brown <openscad@jordan.maileater.net> wrote: On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote: Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and onto a second screen ?? Sure. Edit / Preferences / Advanced; check "Enable undocking of Editor and Console to separate windows". Then drag the editor, console, et cetera out into their own windows, and put each of the windows wherever you like. As others have noted, the preview window is considered the main window, so you have to move everything else out of it, rather than moving it away. It would be a nice tweak to make the preview window be undockable, so that the main window is an empty shell that can contain whichever of the five sub-windows you want it to contain. Making it possible to hide the preview window would be symmetric, but I don't know how often it would be useful. _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
Dave
Wed, Apr 28, 2021 5:41 PM

Thanks for all the info guys
Dave

On 27/04/2021 02:46, MichaelAtOz wrote:

@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:Arial;

On 4/26/2021 6:36 AM, Dave wrote:

Is it possible to move the "preview screen" off the main window and onto a second screen ??

Sure. Edit / Preferences / Advanced; check "Enable undocking of Editor and Console to separate windows". Then drag the editor, console, et cetera out into their own windows, and put each of the windows wherever you like.

As others have noted, the preview window is considered the main window, so you have to move everything else out of it, rather than moving it away.

It would be a nice tweak to make the preview window be undockable, so that the main window is an empty shell that can contain whichever of the five sub-windows you want it to contain. Making it possible to hide the preview window would be symmetric, but I don't know how often it would be useful.

[![](https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png)](http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient) Virus-free. [www.avg.com](http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient)     [ ](#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2)
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org">discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org</a>