discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Function Keys - suggested change.

Dave
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 1:55 PM

Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ???

In many  editors it is used to move to the next instance of a search term.

OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding any
edits.  It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a
disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors.

Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3.

Dave

Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ??? In many  editors it is used to move to the next instance of a search term. OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding any edits.  It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors. Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3. Dave
jon
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 2:20 PM

I agree with this proposal, but expect some push-back from users who are
used to the existing UI.

Allowing some/all of the key combinations to be re-mapped would
ultimately satisfy everyone.

Jon

On 4/13/2021 9:55 AM, Dave wrote:

Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ???

In many  editors it is used to move to the next instance of a search
term.

OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding any
edits.  It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a
disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors.

Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3.

Dave

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I agree with this proposal, but expect some push-back from users who are used to the existing UI. Allowing some/all of the key combinations to be re-mapped would ultimately satisfy everyone. Jon On 4/13/2021 9:55 AM, Dave wrote: > > Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ??? > > In many  editors it is used to move to the next instance of a search > term. > > OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding any > edits.  It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a > disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors. > > Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3. > > Dave > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
larry
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:36 PM

On Tue, 2021-04-13 at 10:20 -0400, jon wrote:

I agree with this proposal, but expect some push-back from users who
are used to the existing UI.
Allowing some/all of the key combinations to be re-mapped would
ultimately satisfy everyone.

A big +1 for allowing remapping!
For the number of times I have hit F3 to search-next (A lot), and the
number of times I have hit it to reload (never, as I use Ctrl-r or the
menu), this change would be a great one.

On 4/13/2021 9:55 AM, Dave wrote:

Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ???

In many  editors it is used to move to the next instance of a
search
term.

OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding
any
edits.  It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a
disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors.

Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3.

Dave

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

On Tue, 2021-04-13 at 10:20 -0400, jon wrote: > I agree with this proposal, but expect some push-back from users who > are used to the existing UI. > Allowing some/all of the key combinations to be re-mapped would > ultimately satisfy everyone. A big +1 for allowing remapping! For the number of times I have hit F3 to search-next (A lot), and the number of times I have hit it to reload (never, as I use Ctrl-r or the menu), this change would be a great one. > On 4/13/2021 9:55 AM, Dave wrote: > > Is there any possibility of changing the use of F3 ??? > > > > In many editors it is used to move to the next instance of a > > search > > term. > > > > OpenScad unfortunately uses F3 to reload the sketch, discarding > > any > > edits. It does show a warning prompt so it's not necessarily a > > disaster, but it would be nicer if it behaved as other editors. > > > > Perhaps move "reload" to shift+F3 or ctrl+F3. > > > > Dave > > > > _______________________________________________ > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
TP
Torsten Paul
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:39 PM

Well, it's sitting there, in need of some final touches...
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/3338

ciao,
Torsten.

Well, it's sitting there, in need of some final touches... https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/3338 ciao, Torsten.
Troberg
Thu, Apr 15, 2021 6:50 AM

I never use the hotkey for reload, and it's such a rare thing to use that I
don't even think it needs a hotkey.

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

I never use the hotkey for reload, and it's such a rare thing to use that I don't even think it needs a hotkey. -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
Parkinbot
Thu, Apr 15, 2021 11:18 AM

+20!
I've been waiting for this feature a very long time to escape hotkey habit
caveats and fat finger pitfalls.

E.g. I never found it a good solution to have CSG rendering (F5), which is
fast and the usual key you press many times during development, next to CGAL
rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of development, still
cannot be interrupted).

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

+20! I've been waiting for this feature a very long time to escape hotkey habit caveats and fat finger pitfalls. E.g. I never found it a good solution to have CSG rendering (F5), which is fast and the usual key you press many times during development, next to CGAL rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of development, still cannot be interrupted). -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
AG
Alex Gibson
Thu, Apr 15, 2021 11:23 AM

+1 Yes - being able to properly abort an accidental render would be very
stress reducing!

The only way I've found is to save the .scad  then close and reopen
OpenSCAD.  But this kills any 'undo' path that you might want to take if the
thing done before hitting F6 turns out to have been duff!

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited

.        Project management

.        Operations & Process improvement

.        3D Printing

I've been waiting for this feature a very long time to escape hotkey habit
caveats and fat finger pitfalls.

E.g. I never found it a good solution to have CSG rendering (F5), which is
fast and the usual key you press many times during development, next to CGAL
rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of development, still
cannot be interrupted).

Nabble.com.

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com

+1 Yes - being able to properly abort an accidental render would be very stress reducing! The only way I've found is to save the .scad then close and reopen OpenSCAD. But this kills any 'undo' path that you might want to take if the thing done before hitting F6 turns out to have been duff! Alex Gibson admg consulting edumaker limited . Project management . Operations & Process improvement . 3D Printing From: Parkinbot [mailto:rudolf@digitaldocument.de] Sent: 15 April 2021 12:18 To: discuss@lists.openscad.org Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Function Keys - suggested change. +20! I've been waiting for this feature a very long time to escape hotkey habit caveats and fat finger pitfalls. E.g. I never found it a good solution to have CSG rendering (F5), which is fast and the usual key you press many times during development, next to CGAL rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of development, still cannot be interrupted). _____ Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive <http://forum.openscad.org/> at Nabble.com. <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com
MichaelAtOz
Sat, Apr 17, 2021 2:39 AM

CGAL rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of
development, still cannot be interrupted)

+1 Yes - being able to properly abort an accidental render would be very
stress reducing!

All that CO2 that could have been prevented...for want of a click

http://forum.openscad.org/file/t359/Capture-render-cancel-button.jpg

OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything,  or if I've done something stupid...

  • on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

> CGAL rendering (F6), which can take hours (and, after years of > development, still cannot be interrupted) > +1 Yes - being able to properly abort an accidental render would be very > stress reducing! All that CO2 that could have been prevented...for want of a click <http://forum.openscad.org/file/t359/Capture-render-cancel-button.jpg> ----- OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid... * on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me. Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above. -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
MichaelAtOz
Sat, Apr 17, 2021 2:41 AM

...however Cancel is granular on calls to CGAL, so if it entered the final
union() it has to finish and can take some time.

...however Cancel is granular on calls to CGAL, so if it entered the final union() it has to finish and can take some time. ----- OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid... * on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me. Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above. -- Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/