Re: Converting OpenSCAD models to Blender Geometry Node Trees

EM
Emmanuel Mogenet
Fri, May 13, 2022 3:25 PM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "William F. Adams" willadams@aol.com
To: "emogenet@gmail.com" emogenet@gmail.com, "whosawhatsis@gmail.com" <
whosawhatsis@gmail.com>
Cc: "discuss@lists.openscad.org" discuss@lists.openscad.org
Bcc:
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:54:52 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Converting OpenSCAD models to Blender Geometry
Node Trees

Is there a text page (say on GitHub) for folks who have trouble following
videos?

William

From: "William F. Adams via Discuss" discuss@lists.openscad.org
To: "emogenet@gmail.com" emogenet@gmail.com, "whosawhatsis@gmail.com" <
whosawhatsis@gmail.com>
Cc: "discuss@lists.openscad.org" discuss@lists.openscad.org, "William
F. Adams" willadams@aol.com
Bcc:
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:54:52 +0000 (UTC)
Node Trees

Sure: https://github.com/emogenet/scad2nodes <https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbEJ4MVVlZU83QXFzZ3VkWGoxZFBFeEJGaElwQXxBQ3Jtc0ttejVrVnFYbHdyNjVNcXdDSTZ6eG9JNEdTWkU2Ti1CZWtDUndiZFFsUFF6OF9KVVJNOEhPaGJrNmZ4MUk1d2JSeWdqOEhramY0aDZnVEVNRGY4Z0t4QzZJRm1lU0J4aDNMZGRQLU9rUlozeU80M3F5OA&q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Femogenet%2Fscad2nodes&v=TltIX_PWj0g> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 4:55 PM William F. Adams via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: "William F. Adams" <willadams@aol.com> > To: "emogenet@gmail.com" <emogenet@gmail.com>, "whosawhatsis@gmail.com" < > whosawhatsis@gmail.com> > Cc: "discuss@lists.openscad.org" <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > Bcc: > Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:54:52 +0000 (UTC) > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Converting OpenSCAD models to Blender Geometry > Node Trees > > Is there a text page (say on GitHub) for folks who have trouble following > videos? > > William > > -----Original Message----- > From: Emmanuel Mogenet <emogenet@gmail.com> > To: Whosawhatsis <whosawhatsis@gmail.com> > Cc: OpenSCAD general discussion <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > Sent: Fri, May 13, 2022 4:31 am > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Converting OpenSCAD models to Blender Geometry > Node Trees > > > You can try it now. The steps are shown at the start of the video. > Caveat: not all OpenSCAD primitives are properly implemented yet, so YMMV. > > > On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM Whosawhatsis <whosawhatsis@gmail.com> > wrote: > > I’m looking forward to being able to try it out. I’ve been looking > off-and-on for a while for a decent way to get OpenSCAD geometry into a > more capable rendering engine. > On May 7, 2022, 15:45 -0700, Emmanuel Mogenet <emogenet@gmail.com>, wrote: > > > >Would this have any implications for either of the tools which allow > using OpenCAD in Blender? > > > >https://github.com/miguelitoelgrande/BlenderSCAD > > This is kind of an abandoned project (last commit 6 yrs ago) AFAICT and > I"m not sure it still works with current versions of Blender. > I should give it a try, but I suspect it won't work with Geometry Nodes, > which is the modern way Blender does geometry. > > >or > > > >https://github.com/maqqr/blender-openscad-import > > This one is simply a Blender add-on that calls OpenSCAD, gets it to > produce an STL model and loads it into Blender. > > Neither project seems to offer a true integration of OpenSCAD into > Blender, meaning a solution where we can do away with the existing OpenSCAD > UI entirely and use Blender as the native UI for OpenSCAD. > > In particular, I'd like to make the full parametric experience OpenSCAD > provides, and especially the [code -> view result -> code -> view result > ...] design loop fully within Blender without ever having to use external > tools. > > The scad2nodes experiment (which is just that, btw: an experiment) is part > of a larger effort called geometry-as-code I'm trying to build into Blender > (I've posted about this before, see demo vid here: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZq8ZlmqHJo > > >Which tool would one use for what circumstance and why? > > If I ever get around to finishing 'Geometry-As-Code' in Blender, hopefully > you won't need anything else :) > > Cheers, > > - Emmanuel > > > On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 11:30 PM Emmanuel Mogenet <emogenet@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > Hi Folks, > > If you're enjoy both OpenSCAD and Blender like I do, here's a fun little > experiment I've coded over last week-end: > > https://github.com/emogenet/scad2nodes > > TL;DR: > - it converts an OpenSCAD model to a tree of geometry nodes in Blender > - at this stage, it is just an initial experiment, and not all > OpenSCAD primitives are fully supported. > > Enjoy (if you are into these kinds of things). > > - Emmanuel > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: "William F. Adams via Discuss" <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > To: "emogenet@gmail.com" <emogenet@gmail.com>, "whosawhatsis@gmail.com" < > whosawhatsis@gmail.com> > Cc: "discuss@lists.openscad.org" <discuss@lists.openscad.org>, "William > F. Adams" <willadams@aol.com> > Bcc: > Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:54:52 +0000 (UTC) > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Converting OpenSCAD models to Blender Geometry > Node Trees > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >