discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Results of rotate_extrude() error

NS
Nathan Sokalski
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 3:18 AM

I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using rotate_extrude() such as:

ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50)

I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update.

Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.commailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com

[...]
TA
Todd Allen
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 3:53 AM

Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before
rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <
discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote:

[...]

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using rotate_extrude() > such as: > > ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate > sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) > > I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most > cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I > can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if > this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from > rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what > does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of > my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should > not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a > rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but > since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code > doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update. > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
LM
Leonard Martin Struttmann
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 3:42 PM

What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss <
[...]

What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"? On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before > rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? > > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > >> I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using rotate_extrude() >> such as: >> >> ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate >> sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) >> >> I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most >> cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I >> can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if >> this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from >> rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what >> does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of >> my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should >> not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a >> rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but >> since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code >> doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update. >> >> Nathan Sokalski >> njsokalski@hotmail.com >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
TA
Todd Allen
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 4:23 PM

It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed.

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024, 9:42 AM Leonard Martin Struttmann via Discuss <
[...]

It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed. On Sat, Jan 20, 2024, 9:42 AM Leonard Martin Struttmann via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"? > > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > >> Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before >> rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? >> >> On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < >> discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: >> >>> I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using >>> rotate_extrude() such as: >>> >>> ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate >>> sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) >>> >>> I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most >>> cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I >>> can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if >>> this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from >>> rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what >>> does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of >>> my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should >>> not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a >>> rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but >>> since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code >>> doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update. >>> >>> Nathan Sokalski >>> njsokalski@hotmail.com >>> _______________________________________________ >>> OpenSCAD mailing list >>> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >
larry
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 4:23 PM

On Sat, 2024-01-20 at 09:42 -0600, Leonard Martin Struttmann via
Discuss wrote:

What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"?

BOSL2

[...]

On Sat, 2024-01-20 at 09:42 -0600, Leonard Martin Struttmann via Discuss wrote: > What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"? BOSL2 > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss > <discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) > > before rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? > > > > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss > > <discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > > I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using > > > rotate_extrude() such as: > > > > > > ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X > > > coordinate sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) > > > > > > I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in > > > most cases my model still displays in preview, and renders > > > successfully, so I can still create my stl files & print it. But > > > I am curious as to why, if this really is an error, it does not > > > prevent the rest of my model from rendering (not that I want that > > > to happen, since I am very happy with what does render). Is there > > > a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of my code (since > > > I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should not > > > require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a > > > rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it > > > does now, but since it does still display the error, I want to > > > make sure that my code doesn't crash if the error does terminate > > > it in a future update. > > > > > > Nathan Sokalski > > > njsokalski@hotmail.com > > > _______________________________________________ > > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
TA
Todd Allen
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 4:34 PM

It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed.

My mistake.  Larry is right, it is in BOSL2.  I pretty much always have
BOSL2 included in my scripts and sometimes lose track of what is in there
versus the core.

>It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed. My mistake. Larry is right, it is in BOSL2. I pretty much always have BOSL2 included in my scripts and sometimes lose track of what is in there versus the core.
NS
Nathan Sokalski
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 4:55 PM

I think you all misunderstood my question. My question is why is the rotate_extrude() not preventing the rest of my model from the previewer like all the other errors I see? Like I said, I am definitely happy that my model still works, I just think it is strange that this error does not act the same way other errors do.

To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.orgmailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

I think you all misunderstood my question. My question is why is the rotate_extrude() not preventing the rest of my model from the previewer like all the other errors I see? Like I said, I am definitely happy that my model still works, I just think it is strange that this error does not act the same way other errors do. Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com<mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> ________________________________ From: Todd Allen via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2024 11:23 AM To: OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list <discuss@lists.openscad.org> Cc: Todd Allen <speedebikes@gmail.com> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: Results of rotate_extrude() error It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed. On Sat, Jan 20, 2024, 9:42 AM Leonard Martin Struttmann via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"? On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss@lists.openscad.org>> wrote: I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using rotate_extrude() such as: ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update. Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com<mailto:njsokalski@hotmail.com> _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org> _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org<mailto:discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org>
TA
Todd Allen
Sat, Jan 20, 2024 6:03 PM

I don't know the answer to your question.  I assume there are potential
problems with geometry spanning the axis of rotation such as generating
faces with flipped normals.  Such issues might not occur in every case but
instead of relying on getting lucky it makes more sense to me to address
the flagged problem.

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 10:55 AM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss <
[...]

I don't know the answer to your question. I assume there are potential problems with geometry spanning the axis of rotation such as generating faces with flipped normals. Such issues might not occur in every case but instead of relying on getting lucky it makes more sense to me to address the flagged problem. On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 10:55 AM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > I think you all misunderstood my question. My question is why is the > rotate_extrude() not preventing the rest of my model from the previewer > like all the other errors I see? Like I said, I am definitely happy that my > model still works, I just think it is strange that this error does not act > the same way other errors do. > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > ------------------------------ > *From:* Todd Allen via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > *Sent:* Saturday, January 20, 2024 11:23 AM > *To:* OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list <discuss@lists.openscad.org > > > *Cc:* Todd Allen <speedebikes@gmail.com> > *Subject:* [OpenSCAD] Re: Results of rotate_extrude() error > > It is a core routine same as rotate_extrude, no libraries needed. > > On Sat, Jan 20, 2024, 9:42 AM Leonard Martin Struttmann via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > What library provides "right_half(planar=true)"? > > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Todd Allen via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > Why not clip the 2d geometry such as with right_half(planar=true) before > rotate_extrude() to eliminate the error? > > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM Nathan Sokalski via Discuss < > discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > I have several scenarios in which I receive errors using rotate_extrude() > such as: > > ERROR: all points for rotate_extrude() must have the same X coordinate > sign (range is -10.00 -> 0.50) > > I understand the error, what it means, and what causes it, but in most > cases my model still displays in preview, and renders successfully, so I > can still create my stl files & print it. But I am curious as to why, if > this really is an error, it does not prevent the rest of my model from > rendering (not that I want that to happen, since I am very happy with what > does render). Is there a way to "disable" this error for certain parts of > my code (since I know they will work)? I think that rotate_extrude() should > not require all points to have the same sign (sort of like doing a > rotate_extrude() for both sides). I am satisfied with what it does now, but > since it does still display the error, I want to make sure that my code > doesn't crash if the error does terminate it in a future update. > > Nathan Sokalski > njsokalski@hotmail.com > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >