discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

OpenSCAD's editor?

GH
gene heskett
Thu, Jul 28, 2022 9:09 AM

Possibly illuminating question:

The OpenSCAD builtin editor, does it contain any code borrowed from gedit?

I ask because something is playing 52 pickup with my code, modules I
wrote a
month ago are turning up missing when I reload the master file. The calls at
the bottom of the file are still there, but the modules it calls have
vanished.

I banished gedit from all my machines and switched to geany because I
was tired of
gedits habit of shuffling the order of a files contents, leaving out 40
lines here,
duplicating 200 lines there, causing me to have to spend a day or more
re-creating
a 750+ line config file for one of my LinuxCNC machines. That was
downright painful.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

Possibly illuminating question: The OpenSCAD builtin editor, does it contain any code borrowed from gedit? I ask because something is playing 52 pickup with my code, modules I wrote a month ago are turning up missing when I reload the master file. The calls at the bottom of the file are still there, but the modules it calls have vanished. I banished gedit from all my machines and switched to geany because I was tired of gedits habit of shuffling the order of a files contents, leaving out 40 lines here, duplicating 200 lines there, causing me to have to spend a day or more re-creating a 750+ line config file for one of my LinuxCNC machines. That was downright painful. Thanks all. Cheers, Gene Heskett. -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>
GH
gene heskett
Thu, Jul 28, 2022 5:38 PM

On 7/28/22 05:13, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I found the missing code in a 2 week older file and copy/pasted it
back into the working
version. But I'll gladly put both hands on a stack of bibles that /I/
did not erase them.

The gedit banishment still stands. That thing is dangerous to your
mental health.
Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

On 7/28/22 05:13, gene heskett wrote: > Possibly illuminating question: > > The OpenSCAD builtin editor, does it contain any code borrowed from > gedit? > > I ask because something is playing 52 pickup with my code, modules I > wrote a > month ago are turning up missing when I reload the master file. The > calls at > the bottom of the file are still there, but the modules it calls have > vanished. > > I banished gedit from all my machines and switched to geany because I > was tired of > gedits habit of shuffling the order of a files contents, leaving out > 40 lines here, > duplicating 200 lines there, causing me to have to spend a day or more > re-creating > a 750+ line config file for one of my LinuxCNC machines. That was > downright painful. > > Thanks all. > > Cheers, Gene Heskett. FWIW, I found the missing code in a 2 week older file and copy/pasted it back into the working version. But I'll gladly put both hands on a stack of bibles that /I/ did not erase them. The gedit banishment still stands. That thing is dangerous to your mental health. Thanks everybody. Cheers, Gene Heskett. -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page<http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>
MM
Michael Marx
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 12:03 AM

The OpenSCAD editor is QScintilla, based on Scintilla https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software) .

I have not had it lose text.

But the best thing is it saves a backup of unsaved files on every F5 or F6.

See Help/Library-info for your platform backup location.

Parsing design (AST generation)...

Saved backup file: C:/Users/.../Documents/OpenSCAD/backups/large-text-backup-pweVRmyG.scad

Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)...

--
https://www.avg.com

The OpenSCAD editor is QScintilla, based on Scintilla <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software)> . I have not had it lose text. But the best thing is it saves a backup of unsaved files on every F5 or F6. See Help/Library-info for your platform backup location. Parsing design (AST generation)... Saved backup file: C:/Users/.../Documents/OpenSCAD/backups/large-text-backup-pweVRmyG.scad Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)... _____ From: gene heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] Sent: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 03:39 To: discuss@lists.openscad.org Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: OpenSCAD's editor? The OpenSCAD builtin editor, does it contain any code borrowed from gedit? I ask because something is playing 52 pickup with my code, modules I wrote a month ago are turning up missing when I reload the master file. The calls at the bottom of the file are still there, but the modules it calls have vanished. FWIW, I found the missing code in a 2 week older file and copy/pasted it back into the working version. But I'll gladly put both hands on a stack of bibles that I did not erase them. -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
GH
gene heskett
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 1:00 AM

On 7/29/22 20:07, Michael Marx wrote:

The OpenSCAD editor is QScintilla, based on Scintilla https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software) .

No familiarity with that.

I have not had it lose text.

But the best thing is it saves a backup of unsaved files on every F5 or F6.

See Help/Library-info for your platform backup location.

Parsing design (AST generation)...

Saved backup file: C:/Users/.../Documents/OpenSCAD/backups/large-text-backup-pweVRmyG.scad

Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)...

I considered that. But it has hot keys that might be triggered by my fat
fingers, and I've seen it
fold a module out of sight. Now I'm wondering if the two missing modules
I got back from a 2 week back "save as", may have been the result of a
save to master while those 2 modules were "folded" out of sight? Is that
a possibility?

These symptoms are not the same as caused me to nuke gedit and its git.
Hot keys w/o docs will be the
end of me yet... Is there a config menu where I can turn off the likely
culprits?

Thank you Michael, take care & stay well.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

On 7/29/22 20:07, Michael Marx wrote: > The OpenSCAD editor is QScintilla, based on Scintilla <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software)> . > > No familiarity with that. > > I have not had it lose text. > > But the best thing is it saves a backup of unsaved files on every F5 or F6. > > See Help/Library-info for your platform backup location. > > > > Parsing design (AST generation)... > > Saved backup file: C:/Users/.../Documents/OpenSCAD/backups/large-text-backup-pweVRmyG.scad > > Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)... I considered that. But it has hot keys that might be triggered by my fat fingers, and I've seen it fold a module out of sight. Now I'm wondering if the two missing modules I got back from a 2 week back "save as", may have been the result of a save to master while those 2 modules were "folded" out of sight? Is that a possibility? These symptoms are not the same as caused me to nuke gedit and its git. Hot keys w/o docs will be the end of me yet... Is there a config menu where I can turn off the likely culprits? Thank you Michael, take care & stay well. [...] Cheers, Gene Heskett. -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>
MM
Michael Marx
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 1:19 AM

F5 & F6 are the shortcuts for Preview & Render.

If you do either operation, from the Menu or using the Button/Icon, it will save a backup.

Re folding, the fold-state is not saved, so it will not lose info.

AFAIK there are no keycodes for folding, only the icon:

&

You could have misclicked and then not noticed the little '+'-in-a-box.

[...]

  • Louis D. Brandeis

OpenSCAD mailing list

--
https://www.avg.com

F5 & F6 are the shortcuts for Preview & Render. If you do either operation, from the Menu or using the Button/Icon, it will save a backup. Re folding, the fold-state is not saved, so it will not lose info. AFAIK there are no keycodes for folding, only the icon: & You could have misclicked and then not noticed the little '+'-in-a-box. > -----Original Message----- > From: gene heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] > Sent: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:01 > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: OpenSCAD's editor? > > On 7/29/22 20:07, Michael Marx wrote: > > The OpenSCAD editor is QScintilla, based on Scintilla > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software)> . > > > > > No familiarity with that. > > > > I have not had it lose text. > > > > But the best thing is it saves a backup of unsaved files on every F5 or F6. > > > > See Help/Library-info for your platform backup location. > > > > > > > > Parsing design (AST generation)... > > > > Saved backup file: C:/Users/.../Documents/OpenSCAD/backups/large-text-backup- > pweVRmyG.scad > > > > Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)... > I considered that. But it has hot keys that might be triggered by my fat > fingers, and I've seen it > fold a module out of sight. Now I'm wondering if the two missing modules > I got back from a 2 week back "save as", may have been the result of a > save to master while those 2 modules were "folded" out of sight? Is that > a possibility? > > These symptoms are not the same as caused me to nuke gedit and its git. > Hot keys w/o docs will be the > end of me yet... Is there a config menu where I can turn off the likely > culprits? > > Thank you Michael, take care & stay well. > > [...] > > Cheers, Gene Heskett. > -- > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." > -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940) > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. > - Louis D. Brandeis > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
GH
gene heskett
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 7:00 AM

On 7/29/22 21:23, Michael Marx wrote:

F5 & F6 are the shortcuts for Preview & Render.

If you do either operation, from the Menu or using the Button/Icon, it will save a backup.

Re folding, the fold-state is not saved, so it will not lose info.

AFAIK there are no keycodes for folding, only the icon:

[...]

You could have misclicked and then not noticed the little '+'-in-a-box.

That is a possibility, but that wouldn't, or shouldn't cause a render
failure of something else that
uses that folded code... I just went thru that file, there are no +
boxes now.

So I'm still puzzled. But that has been my status for at least 8 decades
now. ;o)

Thank you, take care and stay well, Michael.
[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

On 7/29/22 21:23, Michael Marx wrote: > F5 & F6 are the shortcuts for Preview & Render. > > If you do either operation, from the Menu or using the Button/Icon, it will save a backup. > > > > Re folding, the fold-state is not saved, so it will not lose info. > > AFAIK there are no keycodes for folding, only the icon: [...] > You could have misclicked and then not noticed the little '+'-in-a-box. That is a possibility, but that wouldn't, or shouldn't cause a render failure of something else that uses that folded code... I just went thru that file, there are no + boxes now. So I'm still puzzled. But that has been my status for at least 8 decades now. ;o) Thank you, take care and stay well, Michael. [...] Cheers, Gene Heskett. -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>