discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

Re: Thread ends

AM
Adrian Mariano
Tue, Feb 21, 2023 9:46 PM

So https://github.com/adrianschlatter/threadlib is a thread library that
applies "higbee" ends over a specified angle.  That doesn't help a ton.

What I want to know is what is the optimal thread form, perhaps for
different situations if it varies based on situation.  That is, if an
abruptly terminated thread is usually best then that should be the
default.  If there is a case for a longer taper then make that an easy
alternative, and explain to users, who won't have a clue about any of this
stuff, how they should decide when to select one or the other.

Clearly there's a great deal of confusion about this topic, because it
seems like nobody posting here knows the answer, or even has a case for one
answer or another backed by some kind of justification.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 7:52 AM Roger Whiteley via Discuss <

From: Roger Whiteley via Discuss discuss@lists.openscad.org
To: discuss@lists.openscad.org
Cc: Roger Whiteley roger.whiteley@me.com
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:52:18 +0000

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

So https://github.com/adrianschlatter/threadlib is a thread library that applies "higbee" ends over a specified angle. That doesn't help a ton. What I want to know is what is the optimal thread form, perhaps for different situations if it varies based on situation. That is, if an abruptly terminated thread is usually best then that should be the default. If there is a case for a longer taper then make that an easy alternative, and explain to users, who won't have a clue about any of this stuff, how they should decide when to select one or the other. Clearly there's a great deal of confusion about this topic, because it seems like nobody posting here knows the answer, or even has a case for one answer or another backed by some kind of justification. On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 7:52 AM Roger Whiteley via Discuss < discuss@lists.openscad.org> wrote: > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Roger Whiteley <roger.whiteley@me.com> > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Cc: > Bcc: > Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:52:18 +0000 > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Thread ends > The vast majority of machine threads on screws are made on thread rolling > machines with multiple rolling dies around the screw being formed in the > centre. > This makes the thread form stronger through the flow of metal between the > dies, applying work hardening to materials that work harden and deforming > the metal crystal structure to align with the crests and roots of the > thread profile. > Very quick and cheap, about five seconds per screw/bolt including forming > the head - hex/torx/pozi. > > ACME and buttress thread forms are machined, either with an automatic > lathe or milled on a multi axis CNC. > I have an OpenSCAD thread library that finishes the end off as discussed > in the thread. But it’s not part of the BOSL library. I’ll dig out a link > later. > > Roger. > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Roger Whiteley via Discuss <discuss@lists.openscad.org> > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Cc: Roger Whiteley <roger.whiteley@me.com> > Bcc: > Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:52:18 +0000 > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Thread ends > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >