discuss@lists.openscad.org

OpenSCAD general discussion Mailing-list

View all threads

view screwed up

GH
Gene Heskett
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 6:56 AM

Greetings all;

My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an
occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting
and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into
360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern
scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and
sorta see thru.

I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible:
echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr);
329 is the line number.
and it outputs this:
ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25]

Can this be fixed?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Greetings all; My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and sorta see thru. I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); 329 is the line number. and it outputs this: ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] Can this be fixed? Thanks all. Cheers, Gene Heskett -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
MichaelAtOz
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 7:01 AM

Post a screen capture.

My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an
occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting
and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into
360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern
scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and
sorta see thru.

I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible:
echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr);
329 is the line number.
and it outputs this:
ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25]

Can this be fixed?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org

--
https://www.avg.com

Post a screen capture. > -----Original Message----- > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] > Sent: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 16:57 > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Subject: [OpenSCAD] view screwed up > > Greetings all; > > My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an > occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting > and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into > 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern > scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and > sorta see thru. > > I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: > echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); > 329 is the line number. > and it outputs this: > ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] > > Can this be fixed? > > Thanks all. > > Cheers, Gene Heskett > -- > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." > -Ed Howdershelt (Author) > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. > - Louis D. Brandeis > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene> > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
GH
Gene Heskett
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 7:48 AM

On Thursday 08 July 2021 03:01:38 MichaelAtOz wrote:

Post a screen capture.

Attached.

[...]

On Thursday 08 July 2021 03:01:38 MichaelAtOz wrote: > Post a screen capture. Attached. > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] > > Sent: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 16:57 > > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > > Subject: [OpenSCAD] view screwed up > > > > Greetings all; > > > > My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an > > occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then > > restarting and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view > > was split into 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees > > wide. The pattern scales same as the work, previews and renders are > > ghostly looking and sorta see thru. > > > > I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: > > echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); > > 329 is the line number. > > and it outputs this: > > ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] > > > > Can this be fixed? > > > > Thanks all. > > > > Cheers, Gene Heskett > > -- > > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: > > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." > > -Ed Howdershelt (Author) > > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law > > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis > > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene> > > _______________________________________________ > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org Cheers, Gene Heskett -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
MichaelAtOz
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 7:56 AM

Try turning off View/View-edges, and/or reduce $fn.

[...]

Try turning off View/View-edges, and/or reduce $fn. > -----Original Message----- > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] > Sent: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 17:49 > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > Subject: [OpenSCAD] Re: view screwed up > > On Thursday 08 July 2021 03:01:38 MichaelAtOz wrote: > > > Post a screen capture. > > Attached. > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net] > > > Sent: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 16:57 > > > To: discuss@lists.openscad.org > > > Subject: [OpenSCAD] view screwed up > > > > > > Greetings all; > > > > > > My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an > > > occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then > > > restarting and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view > > > was split into 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees > > > wide. The pattern scales same as the work, previews and renders are > > > ghostly looking and sorta see thru. > > > > > > I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: > > > echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); > > > 329 is the line number. > > > and it outputs this: > > > ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] > > > > > > Can this be fixed? > > > > > > Thanks all. > > > > > > Cheers, Gene Heskett > > > -- > > > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: > > > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." > > > -Ed Howdershelt (Author) > > > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law > > > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis > > > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene> > > > _______________________________________________ > > > OpenSCAD mailing list > > > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org > > > Cheers, Gene Heskett > -- > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." > -Ed Howdershelt (Author) > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. > - Louis D. Brandeis > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene> -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com
Terry
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 11:18 AM

That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one
occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing
again.

Terry

====================

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote:

Greetings all;

My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an
occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting
and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into
360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern
scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and
sorta see thru.

I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible:
echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr);
329 is the line number.
and it outputs this:
ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25]

Can this be fixed?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing again. Terry ==================== On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote: >Greetings all; > >My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an >occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting >and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into >360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern >scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and >sorta see thru. > >I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: >echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); >329 is the line number. >and it outputs this: >ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] > >Can this be fixed? > >Thanks all. > >Cheers, Gene Heskett
RW
Ray West
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 1:34 PM

I  expect the 'quick render' (F5) to be all messed up for complex
objects.  The 'full render (F6) is the one I'd be concerned with,
ultimately the stl file. With any screen resolution, you can often hit
on interference patterns. Basically it is the result of a digital
representation of an analogue world.

On 08/07/2021 12:18, Terry wrote:
[...]

I  expect the 'quick render' (F5) to be all messed up for complex objects.  The 'full render (F6) is the one I'd be concerned with, ultimately the stl file. With any screen resolution, you can often hit on interference patterns. Basically it is the result of a digital representation of an analogue world. On 08/07/2021 12:18, Terry wrote: That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing again. Terry ==================== On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote: > Greetings all; > > My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an > occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting > and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into > 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern > scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and > sorta see thru. > > I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: > echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); > 329 is the line number. > and it outputs this: > ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] > > Can this be fixed? > > Thanks all. > > Cheers, Gene Heskett _______________________________________________ OpenSCAD mailing list To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org On 08/07/2021 12:18, Terry wrote: > That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one > occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing > again. > > Terry > > ==================== > > On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote: > >> Greetings all; >> >> My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an >> occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting >> and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into >> 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern >> scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and >> sorta see thru. >> >> I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: >> echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); >> 329 is the line number. >> and it outputs this: >> ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] >> >> Can this be fixed? >> >> Thanks all. >> >> Cheers, Gene Heskett > _______________________________________________ > OpenSCAD mailing list > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
GH
Gene Heskett
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 1:58 PM

On Thursday 08 July 2021 03:56:13 MichaelAtOz wrote:

Try turning off View/View-edges, and/or reduce $fn.

And that was the instant magic twanger, thank you very much. I've no clue
how it got turned on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Thursday 08 July 2021 03:56:13 MichaelAtOz wrote: > Try turning off View/View-edges, and/or reduce $fn. > And that was the instant magic twanger, thank you very much. I've no clue how it got turned on. Cheers, Gene Heskett -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author) If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
Terry
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 2:59 PM

At least this tell me that my post this morning exists; I see no sign of
it in my incoming mail! (Second such 'ghost post' I made this morning.)

Terry

====================

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:34:21 +0100, you wrote:

[...]

At least this tell me that my post this morning exists; I see no sign of it in my incoming mail! (Second such 'ghost post' I made this morning.) Terry ==================== On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:34:21 +0100, you wrote: >I  expect the 'quick render' (F5) to be all messed up for complex >objects.  The 'full render (F6) is the one I'd be concerned with, >ultimately the stl file. With any screen resolution, you can often hit >on interference patterns. Basically it is the result of a digital >representation of an analogue world. > >On 08/07/2021 12:18, Terry wrote: >That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one >occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing >again. > >Terry > >==================== > >On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote: > >> Greetings all; >> >> My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an >> occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting >> and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into >> 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern >> scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and >> sorta see thru. >> >> I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: >> echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); >> 329 is the line number. >> and it outputs this: >> ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] >> >> Can this be fixed? >> >> Thanks all. >> >> Cheers, Gene Heskett >_______________________________________________ >OpenSCAD mailing list >To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >On 08/07/2021 12:18, Terry wrote: >> That looks rather like displays I've sometimes had. On at least one >> occasion 'normality' was restored by rendering and then previewing >> again. >> >> Terry >> >> ==================== >> >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:56:33 -0400, you wrote: >> >>> Greetings all; >>> >>> My viewport suddenly developed a bad case of vertical strips and an >>> occasional moire pattern. Saving my work and exiting, then restarting >>> and reloading my work didn't fix it, rather like the view was split into >>> 360 segments but each segment was only .99 degrees wide. The pattern >>> scales same as the work, previews and renders are ghostly looking and >>> sorta see thru. >>> >>> I added a line to echo all the vars that might be responsible: >>> echo(329,$fn,$fs,$fa,$vpr); >>> 329 is the line number. >>> and it outputs this: >>> ECHO: 329, 360, 2, 12, [55, 0, 25] >>> >>> Can this be fixed? >>> >>> Thanks all. >>> >>> Cheers, Gene Heskett >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenSCAD mailing list >> To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org >_______________________________________________ >OpenSCAD mailing list >To unsubscribe send an email to discuss-leave@lists.openscad.org
JB
Jordan Brown
Thu, Jul 8, 2021 4:52 PM

On 7/8/2021 6:34 AM, Ray West wrote:

I expect the 'quick render' (F5) to be all messed up for complex
objects.  The 'full render (F6) is the one I'd be concerned with,
ultimately the stl file. With any screen resolution, you can often hit
on interference patterns. Basically it is the result of a digital
representation of an analogue world.

Perhaps your objects are more complex than mine, but ... no.

There are a few things that you need to do to get them to be good, but
they should be good.

Offhand:

  • The camera must be entirely outside the model, including any
    invisible parts used for intersection and difference.  Symptom:
    large parts of the model appear and disappear as you move the viewpoint.
  • Convexity must be set adequately high, on those modules that require
    it.  (Linear extrude, polyhedron, others.)  Symptom: individual
    surfaces become invisible as you move the viewpoint.
  • Must avoid Z-fighting.   Primarily that means that your differences
    and intersections must not result in zero-thickness surfaces.  Most
    commonly, the object being subtracted must be a little bigger than
    the object you're subtracting it from. Symptom:  hard to describe,
    streaky patterns across those zero-thickness surfaces.
On 7/8/2021 6:34 AM, Ray West wrote: > I expect the 'quick render' (F5) to be all messed up for complex > objects.  The 'full render (F6) is the one I'd be concerned with, > ultimately the stl file. With any screen resolution, you can often hit > on interference patterns. Basically it is the result of a digital > representation of an analogue world. Perhaps your objects are more complex than mine, but ... no. There are a few things that you need to do to get them to be good, but they should be good. Offhand: * The camera must be entirely outside the model, including any invisible parts used for intersection and difference.  Symptom: large parts of the model appear and disappear as you move the viewpoint. * Convexity must be set adequately high, on those modules that require it.  (Linear extrude, polyhedron, others.)  Symptom: individual surfaces become invisible as you move the viewpoint. * Must avoid Z-fighting.   Primarily that means that your differences and intersections must not result in zero-thickness surfaces.  Most commonly, the object being subtracted must be a little bigger than the object you're subtracting it from. Symptom:  hard to describe, streaky patterns across those zero-thickness surfaces.