Re: how to calculate parameter?

AM
Adrian Mariano
Fri, Jan 7, 2022 5:37 PM

As noted already, sqrt(2) is correct.  But the explanation was a bit
terse.  The reason is that you have a square defined by the radius of the
circle, and the space between the circles needs to be the diagonal of the
square, which is sqrt(2) times the side length.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:09 PM fred via Discuss discuss@lists.openscad.org
wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: fred fred_dot_u@yahoo.com
To: OpenSCAD general discussion discuss@lists.openscad.org
Bcc:
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:08:44 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: [OpenSCAD] how to calculate parameter?
$fn = 60;
dia = 15;
t_factor = 1.4;
circle(dia);
translate([t_factor * dia, 0, 0])
color("blue")
circle(dia);
translate([-t_factor * dia, 0, 0])
color("green")
circle(dia);

[image: Inline image]

I've not performed any tests on the current t_factor (translate factor) as
it's more-or-less a rough eyeball guess. I've forgotten most of my high
school trigonometry/geometry (last century) and am not certain that what I
knew would help me here.

I'd like to know what formula to use to calculate the x-translation that
results in the green and blue circles to split the yellow circle's
circumference into quarters. The final objective is to create a shape which
when duplicated and rotated will be tiled without gaps.

[image: Inline image]
This is the shape which results from using sqrt(2) as the translation
factor. I expect that this is the correct answer, but I only stumbled on
it. It's been my experience that sometimes a calculation falls into one of
the "standard" references in the world.

Can someone explain the development that would confirm this as the correct
calculation?

From: fred fred_dot_u@yahoo.com
To: OpenSCAD general discussion discuss@lists.openscad.org
Bcc: