[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

Alex Gibson alex at alexgibson.net
Thu Oct 31 07:28:37 EDT 2019

Going back to your original question Hugh, and your example:
	cylinder(d = 5, h = 2, $fit = “g6”);

The way I've seen a lot of machine parts (usually 3D printer) programmed in OpenSCAD is this:

	cylinder(d = g6, h = 2);

...and above this at the top of the file...
	fit_tolerance = 0.5;
	machine_tolerance = 0.2;
	g6 = 5+fit_tolerance+machine_tolerance;

Rather than being 'piecemeal' I think building up layers of tolerance like this can be very helpful and reduce confusion and repetitive typing within the body of your design code.  Every time you want that size hole in your project, you just use d= g6 by name.  You can tune the tolerances after the initial design without re-coding.

The idea of a global $fit variable seems nice, but you would have to have it associated with a big table which defines what g6 and many other tolerances are, which you'd need to remember as you are designing the part.  Also it could not take into account multiple fudge factors, and to me that's the real beauty of OpenSCAD for this sort of thing.

Have you tried a similar method, defining named dimensions?

One think I've started to do in my recent bigger projects is to break out dimensions and specific geometry modules into their own separate files:

0_dimensions.scad		<named dimensions - for example m3_bolt_hole = 3.2;			< this is where I do all tolerances etc.
1_geometry.scad		<for example Nema 17 mount pattern holes, as a 2D pattern
2_component			<say a 3D printed mount for the motor
3_subassembly			<say the mount with motor, screws, pulley etc
4_majorassembly		<say the whole axis
5_render			<the whole project for rendering.

This has really helped me to improve version control and ease of navigation around complex projects - and made it easier to recycle code and incorporate scanned or downloaded parts.

Cheers

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited