[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Wed Oct 30 18:35:43 EDT 2019

On 30.10.19 23:09, nop head wrote:
> Adding native open vector paths to OpenSCAD would open a
> big can of worms because they don't make sense in relation
> to its current 2D and 3D model. It would be a whole new
> class of thing and operators.

Big can of worms? Maybe. But I think it's something that
will give a number of additional opportunities.

https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/2796 uses 2D
shapes in 3D space as base for path extrusion.

Being able to defined a 3d point cloud and use 3d hull
would be a useful feature.

I'm sure there's lots of other things.

So while I'm not convinced there's a way to do generic
CAM and/or that would fit into OpenSCAD, this does not
mean there's no room for a much more flexible way to
handle 1D / 2D geometry.

ciao,
  Torsten.