[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:37:13 EDT 2019

Yes this is what I don't get. Does it aim for the middle of the tolerance
band?

For plastic I don't think these tolerances make sense because of the
springiness.

Even with metal I don't think anybody makes these fits directly with CNC
machinery, even professionally. I think they would use a reamer, perhaps on
a turret tool changer, but not directly with a boring bar under control of
an axis. And I doubt any 3D printers are this accurate.

And what size does an H7 reamer make? I suspect it would aim for the high
side of the tolerance so it could wear down and still have some life.

I don't see the point of adding it to OpenSCAD because it is more of a
specification passed on to the machinist and checked by a QA department
than it is something that goes into the model. Please correct me if I am
wrong.