[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 05:22:49 EDT 2019

My experience is totally different. The only setting I change is I measure
the filament diameter when I start a new spool. I always model in
actually dimensions. I use polyholes for round holes. If I want an
interference fit I make the dimensions the same and they always press in,
with varying degrees of force.. If I want a loose fit I leave 0.2mm gap.
Since most of my holes are clearance holes using the standards for screws
they always work because the standard is quite generous. For example 3.4mm
for an M3 clearance hole.

If I want a super accurate hole, for example a pulley bore that is supposed
to be H7 I print it slightly undersized and ream it with an H7 reamer. That
actually makes the finished hole too small because of spring back in the
plastic. But because the plastic has some spring it make a very nice snug
fit on a motor shaft. It is is very had to even measure holes in plastic
because of this.