[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

Alex Gibson alex at alexgibson.net
Tue Oct 29 21:45:19 EDT 2019

So it’s quite likely we are independently doing very similar things, and I know others are, so there’s an opportunity to at least define a useful common approach.

If tolerance factors should be built into OpenSCAD, it would need to be in a way that is universally meaningful and constant.  For example ISO standards.

Even then, I think there are a few tensions.

Tolerances are to me a completely different concept than adjustments for specific CAM applications.  They are used to communicate to somebody else what is acceptable when making the item you have described perfectly in CAD.  So they must be a range.

Whereas if I know my kerf or spread factor from precise measurement, and apply this as an offset to my perfect model, I’m expecting the resulting rendered model to explicitly be a distorted rendering of my part, and that if I slice and print this using one very specific configuration, it will print/cut something closer to the perfect shape than if we’d used the ‘nominal’ part.

Especially in 3D printing, you get different tolerances in different axes- if I took a part I’d optimised for spread in x and Y, and rotated it about X, I could end up with an awfully distorted part.

I have some designs which have complex arrangements of laser cut parts, and the variations in thickness of the Perspex could make or break the fit.  So I have a test piece that is designed to be cut and measured, to feed into OpenSCAD the top level measurements of kerf, material thickness etc.  This is then picked up as a factor by all relevant parts of the design, which shuffles itself to fit.

I would call this (from ignorance of the proper term) ‘tuning’ – and it’s set apart from tolerance – perhaps the flip side.

Finally there’s also things like spacings – allowance for material expansion, air gap between moving parts etc.  To me that’s handled separately from tolerance and tuning, but often all 3 might be present in a single radius…!

Not sure how this chimes with your thinking and practice?

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing