[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

Alex Gibson alex at alexgibson.net
Tue Oct 29 19:47:08 EDT 2019

I think what you are after is something I already use myself, and have built into my own libraries, but it does not need to be a vital part of the language itself – it’s just one of many ways you can use the programmatical nature of OpenSCAD.

In OpenSCAD we are creating ‘pure’ solid shapes (my own terminology only) – the theoretical perfect object.

You could hard code all the dimensions, but it’s much better to define variables upfront – if we were drawing a nut and bolt, why not start with defining the ‘nominal’ diameter.  Then, each diameter could be either a modification of that, or a specific D or d value.  Now, because it’s coded, there’s nothing stopping you also adding another modifier to each dimension, for the nozzle spread of your 3D printer, or the kerf of a laser cutter or mill.  These things are independent of one another, and you can choose to turn these factors on or off depending on whether you are rendering a drawing to be annotated and sent to a machine shop, or making a model to 3D print yourself – effectively this is stepping out of CAD and into CAM, by compensating for limitations in slicers.

If you are struggling to tune tolerances one thing to note if not already obvious:  all circles/cylinders in OpenSCAD are polygon approximations, with points on the circumference, so the middle of the flats is a lower diameter than the tips – an OpenSCAD hole will always be narrower than it should be.  This can be worked around by using the global $fn= value to increase the number of facets for the final render before printing, but keep it lower during design to improve rendering speed.

So there are several different factors at play on all dimensions depending on what stage of the design process you are.  Rather than force these into the language, why not build a library where you define these tolerance values, and include it in your subsequent models?

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing