[OpenSCAD] Engineering Fits and Tolerance

Hugo Jackson hugo at apres.net
Tue Oct 29 19:25:13 EDT 2019

This is the wikipedia article on the matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_fit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_fit>

It doesn’t apply to just threads, but to holes and shafts as well, and is easily expanded to include regularly shaped polygons as well (cause like in triangle world a rectangle is just a 4 sides circle :) ) and it’s used to specify the clearance between two mating objects.

The ISO specification uses capital letters to specify the tolerance range for holes, and lower case letters for shafts. Although the system could be used to fudge for over/under extrusion situations, that’s not it’s intended usage. It’s purpose is to remove the ambiguity of expressions like “loose fitting” and “tight fitting” and you often encounter both the ISO and ANSI tolerances in blue prints and machine drawings.

A pointed out in the article, for example, a paired specification like “H7/k6” on a nominal 50 mm diameter would identify a tolerance range of
+0.000 mm to +0.025 mm and a tolerance range of -0.018 mm to +0.002 mm for the shaft.

I find that I can generally hold my most often used FDM 3d printer to a +/- 0.03 range, so while “H8/f7” would be too exacting a specification for my machine, there are tolerance ranges that could be used for most FDM and certainly DLP printing.