[OpenSCAD] ClikScad - create OpenSCAD models without all the typing

Jordan Brown openscad at jordan.maileater.net
Tue Oct 29 12:37:15 EDT 2019

On 10/29/2019 4:13 AM, Robin2 wrote:
> I'm finding it difficult to explain myself. Some of the discussions I
> see here seem to involve very complex manipulations that, I suspect,
> would be completely unnecessary and irrelevant in other CAD programs.
> It's just a feeling I have that in some cases OpenSCAD is being pushed
> too far from itsessential simplicity. That's why I have been asking
> questions about the intended "market" for OpenSCAD. If it gets too
> complicated I fear it will lose its attraction for people who don't
> need a complex CAD system yet it will still not match the capabilities
> of (say) FreeCad or SolveSpace.

Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough to learn those tools, but they
seem harder to use than OpenSCAD, for less functionality.  I *did* try
to learn Blender, and ... yuck.  If I was a sculptor it would be good,
maybe, but I'm not - I'm an engineer.  I've tried pretty hard to use
SketchUp, but it's a pain in the neck to do anything where you want
precise positioning, and it has zero capability for parameterization and
repetition.

So far, I can't see building any but the simplest of my models using a
point-and-click user interface.  I want to duplicate and parameterize
them too much.

> I have no objection to people creating complex models. I reckon most of them
> could be created with ClikScad (or Graphscad or Blocscad).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2638382 is one of my first models.  I
can't imagine building it using a tool that would require positioning
each element.  I could come close to doing it in BlocksCAD, but it seems
like the mouse work involved would be much slower than the typing in
OpenSCAD, and the resulting program would be visually much larger.  And
I can't actually do it the way that I did it in OpenSCAD, because
BlocksCAD doesn't have any way to import drawings.

It's 49 lines of OpenSCAD, including comments, plus a DXF file for the
cross section.  (Today I'd do the Bezier curve directly in OpenSCAD, but
I didn't have the functions back then.)

Or even this stupid little rack for drying bottles:

In a typical point and click UI, if I decided the spacing was wrong I'd
nearly have to start from scratch.

I'm sure that the more elaborate CAD programs can handle this kind of
repetition and parameterization, but they come with their own
complexity.  I know how to write programs, and so writing programs is,
for me, the easy way to do it.

In fact, I'd say that answers your question about audience.  Just look
at the page title for openscad.org:

    OpenSCAD - The Programmers Solid 3D CAD Modeller

The intended audience is programmers who want to do 3D modeling.

BTW, here's photos of some of my more recent and elaborate models:

'