[OpenSCAD] ClikScad - create OpenSCAD models without all the typing

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Oct 29 17:18:51 EDT 2019

> I'm finding it difficult to explain myself.  Some of the discussions I see
> here seem to involve very complex manipulations that, I suspect, would be
> completely unnecessary and irrelevant in other CAD programs. It's just a
> feeling I have that in some cases OpenSCAD is being pushed too far from its
> essential simplicity. That's why I have been asking questions about the
> intended "market" for OpenSCAD. If it gets too complicated I fear it will
> lose its attraction for people who don't need a complex CAD system yet it
> will still not match the capabilities of (say) FreeCad or SolveSpace.

OpenSCAD has a very different style of creating 3D shapes, compared to freehand direct-manipulation modelling tools. This style of working can appeal to both novices and experts. We have both types of users in our community.

I would call this style Parametric, Procedural Design. The "Procedural" part means that you use an algorithm to generate the geometry, rather than positioning things by hand. The "Parametric" part means that your model has a set of high level numeric parameters that can be tweaked to generate variations on the design. The parameters are inputs to the algorithm, which preserves all of the invariants or requirements that the design is required to conform to, even as the parameter values change.

Procedural design gives you a large amount of precise control over the model. It can be used to generate lots of repetitive detail which nevertheless exhibits mathematically precise symmetry: just the sort of thing that you don't want to construct by hand. It's attractive to experts because of all the control you get over the output.