[OpenSCAD] ClikScad - create OpenSCAD models without all the typing

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Mon Oct 28 21:43:44 EDT 2019

On Oct 25, 2019, at 04:30, Robin2 <robin at nbleopard.com> wrote:

> I don't know their names but I presume there are some people who act as the
> "guardian" of the OpenSCAD project
> All I mean by "support" is a statement of encouragement - "We believe XXX
> would be a useful addition to OpenSCAD[...] maybe "we will bundle it with (or link to it from) OpenSCAD wen
> it is sufficiently complete"

A graphical editor has been thought about and discussed many times, and it's a really interesting topic.
Both the MIT Scratch concept and the node-based editor, as discussed in this thread, are common solutions to such a challenge and they both have numerous implementations both in other software and as part of OpenSCAD or OpenSCAD-inspired software.

I do encourage exploration and experimentation in this domain, and we'd be happy to at the very least _link_ to interesting projects that relates to OpenSCAD in some way.

Two things to keep in mind:

* Even if this mainly provides value to occasional or new users of OpenSCAD and hence is primarily targeting small designs,
I think that such a feature should consider what would happen if used "one level up". Lots of interesting topics can pop up here (e.g. are the two representations isomorphic?, how do you compose larger objects? how do you manage abstractions?)

* Bundling such an editor with OpenSCAD pretty much means integrating it into the software itself, which is likely a bit of an undertaking which includes both writing the editor itself, necessary refactoring of our internal APIs and UI to make it fit, plus long-term maintenance. Maintaining this as a stand-alone companion tool is probably a much easier way to test out the concept, learn about your users and refine both the concept and solution until it's clear where it fits.

Kind Regards,

 -Marius