[OpenSCAD] Node editing systems for 3D and drawing

WillAdams willadams at aol.com
Sun Oct 27 07:01:06 EDT 2019

My thanks to Doug Moen for pointing out Blender's node functionality which I
was not previously aware of.

To ensure that my ignorance becomes less, I would appreciate anything which
folks could share to expand/correct the following:

 - Rhino has an optional node system, Grasshopper which affords full control
of models?
 - Blender --- in addition to the native node system (for materials only?)
there is an add-on modeled on Grasshopper:
http://nikitron.cc.ua/sverchok_en.html

For OpenSCAD and similar tools there is:

 - OpenJSCAD --- version of this in the Microsoft Store, also available on
the web
 - BlockSCAD
 - https://github.com/studiotc/NodeGraphInterface
 - clikscad
 - Antimony/Kokopelli --- I wish this ran on Windows --- I may break down
and get a Mac at some point, or find time to set up a Linux box, but it's
unfortunate that access to it is so limited

For 2D similar tools include:

 - Processing --- programming based on JavaScript --- its use for
CNC/CAD/CAM is described in the book _Make: Design for CNC Furniture
Projects and Fabrication Technique_
 - Nodebox --- elegant programmatic 2D drawing with nodes --- unfortunately,
units in graphics (PDFs or SVGs) are rounded off, so only suited to
decorative use, or use with single-piece projects (a sundial has been done)

CAM-specific tools include:

 - Maker.JS --- a Microsoft Garage project extending node.js for making
things
 - Tool Path Language --- an opensource extension of JavaScript to create
G-Code for directly controlling machines

Is there anything else which I've missed? I'd welcome any additions or
corrections. It's all going on:

 - https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/OpenSCAD
 - https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/CAD
 - https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Programming

For my part, things I'd like to see:

 - BlockSCAD available as an alternate interface in OpenSCAD:
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/3108
 - BlockSCAD support for the Customizer:
https://github.com/EinsteinsWorkshop/BlocksCAD/issues/48
 - a formal technique/site for placing OpenSCAD projects online which isn't
Thingiverse

OpenSCAD support for drawing in 2D --- I'm currently re-creating projects in
METAPOST using lualatex:
https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Design_into_3D:_box:_fitted and
https://github.com/WillAdams/Design_Into_3D/tree/master/box/fitted --- maybe
there's a better way to do this? I was successful with modeling a Chinese
Checkers board and projecting it into 2D so as to export a DXF:
https://community.carbide3d.com/t/design-into-3d-games-chinese-checkers/16056

William