[OpenSCAD] ClikScad - create OpenSCAD models without all the typing

gasstationwithoutpumps karplus at soe.ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 26 02:01:05 EDT 2019

nophead wrote
> I don't think anybody who is a programmer would struggle to learn it and
> they are the people it is aimed at. I can see a GUI could help somebody
> who
> is not a programmer get started but are there many of those that would
> want
> to use OpenSCAD? Why wouldn't they use Fusion360 or FreeCAD if they liked
> GUI based CAD?

That was precisely my question about the original proposal—OpenSCAD is
designed for programmers who can't (or don't want to) draw.  If someone
wants to draw, there are much better systems for their needs.  I have never
found graphical interfaces for programming languages very good for real
programs.  (OK, Scratch was fun for teaching 5th graders to program little
programs, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything big.)

> I also felt the same about VHDL verses schematic entry for FPGA design.
> Yes
> the schematic can be easier for a hardware designer but it is much quicker
> to type HDL and not worry about laying out a schematic.

I don't think that any of the FPGA developers use schematic entry any
more—the FPGAs have gotten too big.  Verilog seems to be the dominant tool,
with a lot of development work into higher-level RTL languages with Verilog
as the output.

-----
gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com
www.thingiverse.com/gasstationwithoutpumps/things