[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

lar3ry lar3ry at sasktel.net
Fri Oct 25 02:21:13 EDT 2019

I have been eying LightBurn, and have been thinking that I would buy it after
changing out my m2nano board. BUt this is the first time I've heard that it
offsets by half the kerf. Which direction is the offset? Generally, when I
want to cut or engrave  line, I want it where I put it.

I also wonder why a cut out circle and an engraved X need to be in different
layers. The software I use, Inkscape, allows me to colour the strokes and to
set the greyscale values of the fill. Because the control software I use
(K40 Whisperer), will cut a red line, vector engrave a blue line, and raster
engrave a grey-scale area, it means I don't have to mess with layers. I also
don't have to mess with line thicknesses, as any red or blue line is
considered a 'stroke' and will only cut or vector engrave once, right down
the middle.

I do agree that a line() would be nice in OpenSCAD. I do a fair bit of
design work in OpenSCAD that targets a laser.

Troberg wrote