[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 24 17:19:47 EDT 2019

One of my requests from a while ago was to be able to "draw" or render an elevation (or designated plane) of a 3-D model into a 2-D line art (SVG?). I could use this in two practical ways. First for documentation purposes, and secondly to be able to print "proof of fit" paper shapes to quickly check if things work.

A third way this thread reveals (unfortunately I don't own a laser) is CAM packages could be developed from this format to control various forms of cutting tools. Just like there are many STL to Gcode "slicers" around to choose from, a similar ecosystem could spring from this feature in OpenSCAD.

Whether an edge is considered a line around a shape or how a colour is interpreted, layers etc etc is left up to the CAM interpreter, of which there could be many flavours. However at least a standardized OpenSCAD approach to a 2-D rendering system would be a major step in focussing efforts to progress in this area.

Just viewing this discussion as a very basic, but most appreciative, OpenSCAD User.

Cheers, RobW