[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD Tutorial - Google Season of Docs

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Thu Oct 24 13:16:43 EDT 2019

On 24.10.19 18:59, bradipao wrote:
> What is missing, in my opinion, is a collection of "best
> practices" to follow when trying to draw something more
> than a few cubes and cylinders. How to start a drawing of
> a complex object?

The last sentence already make clear that it's not part
of the tutorial. "How To" is a different style of document
which is important to have, but serves a different purpose
compared to a tutorial.

See https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/ which I
found very enlightening. The talk is great and explains
things in detail, but the main point is the 4 different
types of documents shown in chapter "The secret".

> Moreover there is the huge topic of how to optimize
> designs for 3D printing, a topic not strictly related to
> openscad, but that could be a strong incentive for adopting
> the tool. For example, if design is targeted to 3D printing,
> it is useless to achieve infinite precision, because
> everything below 0.2mm is likely lost in print process, so
> design can be simplified and even achieve a better final
> result.

That's a great point. I think there's quite a number of
cases where people complain about "OpenSCAD is unusable
slow" while sticking a $fn = 200; at the top.

I think one thing for the tutorial might be to not really
teach $fn, but always show $fa and $fs.

Special optimization topics could maybe be part of the
tutorial but I suspect the limited time frame will mean
it's not going to happen as part of this GSoD session.
It would be nice to collect ideas about this kind of
topics somewhere though. Maybe just as wiki page in one
of the github repos.

ciao,
  Torsten.