[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Thu Oct 24 09:20:41 EDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 02:05:12PM +0100, nop head wrote:

> There is no reason why a proper CAM program can't convert a thin cut
> equal to the kerf into a single line down the middle.

That's a feature that you think that a proper CAM program SHOULD have,
or maybe you know of one that DOES have this.

Us mortals have to use the tools that are available now. I don't have
time to write everything myself. Other people don't have the time to
wait for the developers (of their CAM workflow) to include such a
feature.

	Roger.

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 14:02, Troberg <troberg.anders at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > nophead wrote
> > > The problem is a laser doesn't cut a line with zero thickness but people
> > > pretend it does.
> > >
> > > You can model any object a laser can produce in OpenSCAD. What is needed
> > > is
> > > a CAM stage for lasers that creates the tool path, just as 3D printing
> > and
> > > milling. For some reason the CAM stage is ignored when laser cutting.
> >
> > No, quite the contrary, we rely on it having some thickness, but we can't
> > model it with thickness, because that would make the laser cut twice.
> >
> > We do have a CAM stage. In my case, I use LightBurn, and it does create a
> > tool path. But, for example, a living hinge, requires lines of minimum
> > width
> > (ie the kerf of the laser, typically around 0.1 mm). The way OpenSCAD
> > works,
> > I would need to model them as very narrow rectangles, which causes the
> > laser
> > to cut twice (slow, cuts a wider line, leaves more charring and increase
> > the
> > tendency of the material to cach fire). Sure, LightBurn can remove
> > overlapping lines, but as it's a very narrow rectangle, they won't overlap,
> > they'll just be very close to each other.
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** https://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2049110 **
**    Delftechpark 11 2628 XJ  Delft, The Netherlands.  KVK: 27239233    **
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.