[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

Troberg troberg.anders at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:22:58 EDT 2019

nophead wrote
> Yes but laser drivers don't offset the cut by half the kerf and they don't
> accept a 3D model that represents a surface with engraving as trenches
> equal to the kerf and so derive a tool path running down the centre. A CAM
> tool to drive a mill accepts a model of the intended result, not a tool
> path. Laser artwork is just the tool path in different colours not a model
> of the desired end result. OpenSCAD can produce a perfectly good model of
> the end result. It can't produce tool paths.

Actually, most laser software (LightBurn, RDWorks...) do offset by half the
kerf. Not only that, they do a lot of other stuff associated with a tool
path, such as which order to do things in (fastest, inside out, all at once,
one object at the time...), burnthrough (remain still after igniting the
laser for a short while to get a clean burn through), slowing down in
corners (to avoid bounce), using less power in corners/starting/stopping to
avoid overburn, adapting to acceleration limitations of the cutter and so
on.

They don't start from a 3D model, though, for obvious reasons. Lasers don't
get 3D, they get X, Y, power, speed and that's all (slightly simplified).
So, If I want to, say, cut out a circle with an engraved X, I need to model
a circle, then two crossing lines. These needs to be in different layers in
2D.

OpenSCAD does 2D fairly good, so usually it works out, but there are two
missing primitives which would help a lot: line and point.