[OpenSCAD] DXF for cut and engrave

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 07:47:39 EDT 2019

The problem is OpenSCAD can only model solid objects, not laser tool paths.

The correct model for an engraved line would be a shallow trench with a
width equal to the laser beam width. I.e. it would be a 3D object and laser
host software won't process it.

I plan to build my own laser cutter next year and if I do I will write my
own CAM software to handle STLs. In the laser world the CAM step seems to
be missed out because the kerf is so small. The design modelled in a vector
art packages is the tool path.