[OpenSCAD] Memory leak?

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:40:35 EDT 2019

The small assembly after a few iterations:

Geometries in cache: 938

Geometry cache size in bytes: 21087424

CGAL Polyhedrons in cache: 204

CGAL cache size in bytes: 306307176

Compiling design (CSG Products normalization)...

Normalized CSG tree has 354 elements

Compile and preview finished.

Total rendering time: 0 hours, 1 minutes, 1 seconds

The whole assembly:

Geometry cache size in bytes: 16023312

CGAL Polyhedrons in cache: 72

CGAL cache size in bytes: 49379176

Compiling design (CSG Products normalization)...

Compiling background (1 CSG Trees)...

Normalized CSG tree has 1380 elements

Compile and preview finished.

Total rendering time: 0 hours, 1 minutes, 34 seconds

It looks like as I make changes the cache gets bigger and bigger. Clearing
it causes the memory to go down again.

So perhaps not a memory leak, just the cache filling up. I have them both
set to 1GB each. It must just be that it took a lot of iterations to get
the wavy box right and each iteration must create a lot of geometry that
gets cached and abandoned until the cache is cleared. I noticed because
Windows said OpenSCAD was using all the memory. Actually Chrome uses most
of it because I have about 80 tabs open. Perhaps I should close a few!

It must be something unusual about the waves because I have never noticed
the cache filling up memory before, even when working on complex assemblies
for weeks.

If anybody is curious it is a small fan oven that I use to dry filament. It
keeps a spool at 50C which drops the relative humidity to about 18% in a
few days. The effect on printing is amazing compared to ABS left in a room
at 60%. Apart from improving the surface quality it completely stops any
nozzle ooze at the end of a print and bridging works a lot better. It also
reduces the smelly ABS fumes greatly.

The first one I made was for 2.5Kg spools and was mains driven. This is for
1Kg spools and will run from 12V.