[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Thu Oct 3 10:52:25 EDT 2019

On 03.10.19 15:08, shadowwynd wrote:
>     name = "Fred";
>     linear_extrude(2) text(name);

Specifically this and also all the other imports are
the most often asked candidates for querying geometry.
The thing is those are the most easy ones that can live
without as the data already exists and does not depend
on calculated geometry.

However to get the data out we need some more basic
ground work to be done in the language that allows the
data to be presented without ugly hacks that can never
be fixed.

I believe the changes to the parser that are currently
in progress plus the "objects" proposal from Doug should
allow import and text (and maybe others) to be used in
a function context returning an object that has both
the geometry as right now and also the additional raw
data about the glyphs.

While that is not a fully general solution, it should
cover quite a number of use cases while still fitting
into the OpenSCAD language without awkward and strange
workarounds.

If that all works out as I think remains to be seen
and also depends on the time that can be dedicated to
this.

ciao,
  Torsten.