[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Oct 3 09:30:50 EDT 2019

In Shadowwynd's example below, the problem is solved if you can query the bounding box of a `text` object.

In Curv, every primitive shape operation computes the bounding box of the shape, and makes that bounding box available to the program. This is fast, because it is done *without* rendering the shape. In the case of intersection and difference, the bounding box is an estimate (the true bounding box might be smaller), but in other cases, the bounding box is exact. In practice, it is these "other cases" where the bounding box is most useful, so it doesn't matter that the bounding box is sometimes an approximation.

This feature could be added to OpenSCAD, with restrictions that guarantee it is a fast operation, and it would not be difficult. In the case of text, the cost of computing the bounding box should be no worse than the cost of previewing the text, and that seems to be a fast enough operation. Since intersection and difference are super expensive to render, you use an approximation for these cases. For intersection(){A;B}, you use the intersection of the bounding boxes of A and B. For difference(){A;B} you just use the bounding box of A.

The bounding box is useful in lots of other situations. Eg, import an STL and position it so that the bottom is at Z==0.

Doug Moen.