[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

Troberg troberg.anders at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 02:41:48 EDT 2019

OpenSCAD mailing list wrote
> I am of the opinion that if one creates OpenSCAD code in a parametric
> manner, it is not necessary to query an object. By creating the object in
> this way, you've "told" OpenSCAD everything that you'd need to know later.

Well, it's not strictly necessary, true, but in some cases, it would be very
handy.

Examples:

When things move around a lot. Think of a robot arm, with several bend
points. Sure, build it part by part and be careful, and you can do it, but
occasionally (for example if you do an anim), you might want to know where
the claw is without having to to do all the math.

Say that you are doing a an axle, with bunches of nuts and washers, passing
through several  other bits. Sure, the math is easy, but if components are
designed as modules, I need to check out how thick a nut or a washer is,
instead of just "stack them".

Making rounded/chamfered corners on parts. If you could just query the item,
it would be pretty simple to just get the needed dimensions and procedurally
add the roundings/chamfers.