[OpenSCAD] Using OpenSCAD to drive milling

Jordan Brown openscad at jordan.maileater.net
Wed Oct 2 18:03:38 EDT 2019

On 10/1/2019 3:09 PM, Alex Gibson wrote:

> In case it helps you, the type of milling it’s possible to do with
> this is often called “2.5D” meaning it can move in 2 axes, x and Y,
> and plunge to a depth in Z, but from above only.

Thanks.  I'd heard that term, but misunderstood it.  I'd seen it in the
context of tools that had 2D drawings with specified depths for
particular areas, and specified cuts for particular lines, but did not
have a general ability to model other shapes, even limited by "cut from
the top".  (That is, they could not model a hemisphere, even though
that's a shape that could be cut by this machine.)

> +1 for fusion360 as a good tool to use with this, though I am a
> relative newbie myself.

I'll try it again.  I tried it on my low-end (but not ancient) laptop,
and it was unusably slow.  (And I didn't understand it, but it was hard
to understand when it was so slow.)