[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

fred fred_dot_u at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 16:36:37 EDT 2019

 I like math. I like geometry, algebra, trigonometry and even one semester of calculus, but don't ask me to remember any of the latter!
Trying to engage our makerspace members in OpenSCAD hasn't been fruitless, but as soon as numbers come into play, all bets are off. So far, most of them are full GUI users, ala Tinkercad or rarely Onshape, so having to type (no typing skills either) in words and do math and create geometry scares away most.
Recently a new member, with a passing interest in programming became aware of both OpenSCAD and Solvespace. The former you know, the latter is GUI, but parametric and constrained. Useful for a variety of things and a handy tool for the toolbox.
The new member, let's call him John (because it's his name) embraced OpenSCAD with an enthusiasm I've not seen before. He used the same method I enjoy. Look at someone else's work, try something, if it doesn't work, try something else and of course, trouble shoot why the first one didn't cut it.
Every person takes a different approach to a modeling program, and OpenSCAD certainly fits for many people.
The price is hard to beat.

    On Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 3:25:11 PM EDT, Robin2 <robin at nbleopard.com> wrote:

 nophead wrote
> Nothing is for sale here.

That does not mean that the product should not be marketed - that is, if you
want to widen the user base.

> When I see what James Bruton knocks up with Fusion360 I
> realise it is much more productive that coding in OpenSCAD.

I don't know who James is but I suspect he is very familiar with Fusion360.

I'm thinking of the novice who knows none of the CAD programs and may only
want to build one or two models in a year. For that sort of user a system
that requires very little learning will be very attractive. I think Openscad
can be that system.

...R