[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

fred fred_dot_u at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 09:07:44 EDT 2019

 I am of the opinion that if one creates OpenSCAD code in a parametric manner, it is not necessary to query an object. By creating the object in this way, you've "told" OpenSCAD everything that you'd need to know later.

cube([10, 20, 5]); definition is fine for many.cube([b_width, b_depth, b_height]); allows for referencing those assignments as often as necessary. If location is important, having parametric values in a translate command provides that information for future use.
I learned this method from another OpenSCAD user, many moons ago, and I'm thankful for having been put on the right track. As I assist others in our makerspace, I do my best to pass along what I've learned.