[OpenSCAD] Extending OpenSCAD from assembler to C or Perlish language and adding standard library

Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 07:33:30 EDT 2019

I've often dreamed of a GUI for OpenSCAD that would work seamlessly
with the OpenSCAD programming capability.
I've been afraid that adding mutable variables would make this difficult.

What I imagine for a GUI would be that basic shapes (like cylinder,
cube, etc.) are  offered on a tool panel, and a customizer like
interface is used to adjust them.   Placing the object generates code.

New object types are created by making modules (as we have now) and
the parameters of the module are customizer parameters as would work
with a built in object.

This simplistic view doesn't address how to handle relations between
objects or how to express modules that operate on other objects.  To
be complete, this would need to be handled.

The other feature that OpenSCAD is missing from a traditional cad
package is the equivalent of snap...  Simple snaps can be done just by
drawing objects relative to each other, but more complex snaps (like
attaching at the corner formed by intersecting two objects) sometimes
requires me to do trigonometry to find the snap location or
calculating the tangent or something worse.  As someone stated in
another thread, fixing this would require primitives to "ask
questions" about the resulting object.