[OpenSCAD] Difference between modelling with Openscad and Freecad

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 06:55:31 EDT 2019

Yes you can't query the geometry in OpenSCAD but I never need to do that
because I specify the geometry precisely with maths.

I don't make anything with hand tools, so I don't need dimensioned
drawings. I make my designs so that they fit around parts they need to
mount or mate with. I don't care what the final dimensions are, they are
often far from round numbers due to the build up of parameters and
clearances and radii. If I want to sanity check something, I examine the
STL in NetFabb before printing it.

Before OpenSCAD I used CoCreate but since switching to OpenSCAD I would
never consider a GUI based CAD system because I a computer programmer, not
a mechanical design engineer. I can't even sketch anything in 3D and have
difficulty imagining 3D shapes. I start with a mental model of how the non
printed parts need to be arranged and design the plastic around them.