[OpenSCAD] Extending OpenSCAD from assembler to C or Perlish language and adding standard library

Robin2 robin at nbleopard.com
Tue Oct 1 04:08:30 EDT 2019

MichaelAtOz wrote
> When I first go into 3D printing I looked around as many of the CAD like
> offering as I could try, I even considered commercial software (but most
> were out of my $'range).
> I found the 'traditional' mouse driven CAD cumbersome, if you want
> accuracy
> you have to do various mousing-about then click on things to open
> parameters
> then type in values etc.
>
> Then I came across OpenSCAD, as I had a programming background it seemed
> good, you just type out your specification for the thing, press F5 and
> there
> it is. (after debugging...)

This echoes my own experience perfectly.

But then I got tired of all the typing and realised that I can have the best
of both worlds. I don't want to discourage the people who prefer to type in
their code. But I think that a front-end that allows the lazy (like me) to
avoid it would be a benefit.

...R