MichaelAtOz oz.at.michael at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 20:23:10 EST 2019

tifn wrote
> When I contributed to the first one in the above list (and spent time to
> reduce the
> original test case to just one simple facet), the final argument to close
> it
> was that "this could consume a lot of energy for no gain with correct
> geometry".

I closed it because you had reproduced the issue, confirming it was a
malformed polyhedron producing the CGAL assertion. Nothing to be fixed in
OpenSCAD. We get CGAL assertion error reports regularly, very few - close to
zero, are other than bad STLs or poly's.

What I actually said was

> There is some discussion on whether to expend resources checking validity
> of poly's & import individually prior to render, but this could consume a
> lot of energy for no gain with correct geometry.

I agree with you that a CGAL assertion is not a very user friendly method to
report problems with geometry.

-----
Admin - email* me if you need anything,  or if I've done something stupid...